Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Advertising Service

Developer
AppVendors_org
My Device: Tour Curve Storm Bold Torch

My tips with BBAS implementation

Our first BBAS-enabled app is approved by App World. We learnt a lot (including tips from this forum) and here would like to share with you.

Generally speaking, the SDK itself is pretty solid and developer friendly. The ad network needs improvements to support BBAS-app deployment.

1. Always use the correct version of BBAS lib in your deliverables. Backward compatibility seems ok (i.e. BBAS 4.5 may work with OS 4.6 or above). But I think RIM has a reason to deliver different versions of BBAS lib, and we should take advantage of the potentials of the newer version

2. Don't use newer version of BBAS lib in older OS. Some developers reported that BBAS5.0-enabled works on OS 4.6, But I would say that this is not guaranteed and unpredicable behaviours may take place in real deployment

3. I use JDE. To compile BBAS,

* copy the (correct version of) net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.jar file into my project

* right-click my project; select Properties

* under Build tab, Add the BBAS jar into Imported jar files

4. To run BBAS in simulator,

* copy the (correct version of) net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod file into the JDE's simulator folder

5. To deploy by desktop,

6. To deploy by OTA,

* Open the (right version of) BBAS jad file in the BlackBerrySDK_appxxxxx_OTA folder sent to you by RIM

* copy these two lines into your own OTA jad file

RIM-COD-URL-1: net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod

RIM-COD-Size-1: 40516

* change "-1" in above lines to "-10" or bigger number if your own jad already contains COD-1

7. If you see "Module 'net_rim-bbapi_adv_appxxxxx not found" error, please check your app's properties (on device) to see if it contains module net_rim-bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod

8. OS6.0 (Torch 9800) doesn't support BBAS. App will crash with "xxx

The BBAS ad network seems to be at its early stage at this moment, with very limited ads. The ad delivery also seems to be slow (~10 seconds). To compensate this, our app employed the following techniques:

1. We use "anAd.setMinimalExtentIntially(true);" to avoid blank ad banner

2. We construct Banner Banner(apid, null, 60000, adBgImg) to provide a meaningful background before ad appears

3. We use our own ad to occupy the Banner space before Banner ad appears

I will share more info as we go. Meanwhile, if you would like to see oue implementation, please download it from http://www.ottafone.com/mbbh . Of course, feedback and suggestions to make BBAS work better is always appreciated.

is not responding" exception

* add net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod into the alx file

<files >

your_own_cod_files.cod

net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod

</files>

* make sure you copy net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod to the same place as your my_own_cod_files.cod

Please use plain text.
Developer
AppVendors_org

Re: My tips with BBAS implementation

Sorry format messed up. Re-post the messed port.

1. Always use the correct version of BBAS lib in your deliverables. Backward compatibility seems ok (i.e. BBAS 4.5 may work with OS 4.6 or above). But I think RIM has a reason to deliver different versions of BBAS lib, and we should take advantage of the potentials of the newer version

2. Don't use newer version of BBAS lib in older OS. Some developers reported that BBAS5.0-enabled works on OS 4.6, But I would say that this is not guaranteed and unpredicable behaviours may take place in real deployment

3. I use JDE. To compile BBAS,

* copy the (correct version of) net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.jar file into my project

* right-click my project; select Properties

* under Build tab, Add the BBAS jar into Imported jar files

4. To run BBAS in simulator,

* copy the (correct version of) net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod file into the JDE's simulator folder

5. To deploy by desktop,

* add net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod into the alx file

<files >

your_own_cod_files.cod

net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod

</files>

* make sure you copy net_rim_bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod to the same place as your my_own_cod_files.cod

6. To deploy by OTA,

* Open the (right version of) BBAS jad file in the BlackBerrySDK_appxxxxx_OTA folder sent to you by RIM

* change "-1" in above lines to "-10" or bigger number if your own jad already contains COD-1

7. If you see "Module 'net_rim-bbapi_adv_appxxxxx not found" error, please check your app's properties (on device) to see if it contains module net_rim-bbapi_adv_appxxxxx.cod

8. OS6.0 (Torch 9800) doesn't support BBAS. App will crash with "xxx is not responding" exception

Please use plain text.
Retired
jreda
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

Thanks for this great post!

I'd like to provide some clarity on the version issue.

All bundles under 5.0 (4.5, 4.6, and so on) are essentially the same except each has been compiled using their own version of the BlackBerry SDK.  If you're going to use one BBAS bundle then be sure to use 4.5 to avoid any potential issues.

For a 5.0 build you should really use the 5.0 bundle we provide.  It'll provide you with Rich Media ads and is significantly different from the 4.x bundles.  4.x bundles have not been tested on 5.0 so we can not ensure that they'll work properly in all situation.

For 6.0 you should avoid using any bundle until we release a 6.0 version.  The 6.0 browser is very different and using a 4.x or 5.0 bundle can produce undesired behavior.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Scientific
My Device: Blackberry 9630

6. To deploy by OTA,

Hello Im not understanding this part.  How do you go about copying this to your .jad file?

I was told I have to merge the .jad file from my app to the .jad file of the BBAS.  Is this the same thing as doing that?

Thanks

Scientific

Please use plain text.
Developer
AppVendors_org

Yes it is the same thing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
avolcoff
My Device: Not Specified

It took me several hours to make the ads work properly on the blackberry simulator (was able to do it properly only after seeing this post)

on android it took me just a few minutes to add several ad networks and make them work on a real device!

now I see that this ad network does not support the OS 6 (torch)

what was the point of introducing a totally new ad network if it is not forward compatible with the latest OS out there?

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

avolcoff wrote:

what was the point of introducing a totally new ad network if it is not forward compatible with the latest OS out there?

You probably realize that marketing and dev people speak different languages :smileyhappy: For sure the RIM marketing wanted Advertising API announced at DevCon, but it seems the Devs weren't ready to release it. This happens all the time in big companies, happy us to work for small ones :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.