Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Advertising Service

New Contributor
nehako
My Device: Not Specified

Unable to Integrate Blackberry Advertising with J2ME Game due to package Issue

We were trying to use Blackberry Advertising Service to integrate our J2ME Game with Advertisement.But there is a problem which is also Mentioned in Blackberry document named as                                          "Using Midlets on Blackberry" .the Problem is that we cannot use  net.rim.device.api.ui and javax.microedition.lcdui packages in our application at one time.

And Without  api.ui we cannot integrate our Game with Add. Banner Class is not Working .Is there anyway by which we can integrate our J2ME Game with advertisement using Blackberry Service.Is there any Sample Code for its Implementation available?

Retired
jreda
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

Re: Unable to Integrate Blackberry Advertising with J2ME Game due to package Issue

Unfortunately there is no workaround as the banner itself leverages net.rim.device.api.ui classes.

New Contributor
nehako

Re: Unable to Integrate Blackberry Advertising with J2ME Game due to package Issue

Is that mean we cannot use Blackberry Advertising Service with our J2ME Game ?

Retired
jreda

Yes, this is correct.

New Contributor
nehako

If blackberry advertising Service does not support J2ME.Then in what type of Games this Service is Integrated?

We want to use Blackberry Advertising Service in our Game on blackberry ,so what changes are required in our Code?

Which package to use in place of lcdui .* ?

If not J2ME, then how to develop our Game on blackberry to make use of their advertising Service?

Retired
jreda

You will need to create a CLDC application.

New Contributor
nehako

Is that mean it is not possible to integrate Blackberry Advertising Service with Games on blackberry?

We can integrate it only with Applications and not games on blackberry?

Contributor
mobistar

Blackberry should consider providing Advertising API integration to javax.microedition.lcdui as well. 

I hope Blackberry Advertising Service team takes note of this request ?

I have several blackberry midlet apps out it the market for few years now. It is a big effort for me to convert all of those into using net.rim.device.ui now. This additional effort is prohibiting me from incorporating Ads into my apps.

If there are other in a situation like me, please reply to this post to amplify and reinforce this request to blackberry team.

simplebeans
My Device: Blackberry Bold

Just a question as i was following this thread if you cannot use blackberry advertising services for JAVA what can you use it for/with exactly?

New Contributor
troggleton
My Device: Pearl flip

I know this thread is old, but I would like to voice my concern on this issue as well.  I too have several apps written in J2ME as MIDLets so that I can reach a broader scope of people with many different devices (and many different manufacturers).  I would have thought that Blackberry would have created some J2ME API's by now so that they would be able to earn income from other manufacturers devices.  It is sad to hear that they have not.  I hope that they will be encouraged to do so soon.  Right now, it looks like I will have to use some other ad networks like Vserv, AdMob, InMobi, or something.  Sorry, but there it is.

Simplebeans, as for your question, I assume that Blackberry only wants their products to access their networks.  Otherwise I would have expected them to create an API for J2ME, and those other bad words like iOS, and Android.  You can use JAVA for the BAS, but it needs to be written using the Blackberry API's, not J2ME.

TTT