Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
RaeznCheyenne
My Device: Bold 9900

1st time user, bought from another

Hi. How do I get rid of email address of previous owner on a Yahoo app? I'd also like to know if anyone knows how I can get an app similar to redlaser on the Blackberry for shopping. Is email easy to get set up? How do I back up all my contacts & stuff online? I'm trying & it's not backing up. Other than that, any helpful tips would be appreciated.Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: 1st time user, bought from another

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First, review this:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

From what you describe, the seller did not properly complete their steps, and those must be done before you, the buyer, can properly complete your steps and use this BB. Given what you describe, I would predict many more problems than you presently see. Consequently, I recommend contacting the seller and getting them to either properly conduct their steps or refund your money.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RaeznCheyenne

So if I can't get cooperation from the person I bought it from I'm stuck then?  I am having a myriad of issues with BB ID, screen name & passwords.  The seller said the Bold 9900 was practically brand new, & it looked like it was so I naively took his word for it. Now I'm kinda screwed. I have since added all my contacts with photos, etc. & could not bear to lose all and/or re-do.  Is there a way I can getthe BB ID, screen name & passwords streamlined? Thank you again.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

What it sounds like is the BB remains assigned to the sellers BB ID as well as their BIS services. While you can change the BB ID associated with the BB (though that will be a total WIPE of the device), you cannot change the BIS account association. BIS accounts are maintained by the carriers, and typically they won't accept a request to release the BB PIN from anyone except the actual account holder. It's a security thing...to prevent fraud and use after theft.

So, basically, you might be stuck if you can't reach the seller to do their necessary steps...it's impossible to know from here, as we have no access to the "back end" systems necessary to check if indeed your BB PIN is held by some carrier in the name of the prior owner.

Let us know if you want to proceed with trying...and make sure you get a good backup of all of your data first.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RaeznCheyenne

Understood & Thank you. Now, how do I back up all of my contacts on my pc or the BB site?  I've got a lot of info on this phone that i could not bear to loose & not having any luck finding a definite back up. I'm a stickler on backing up & kinda freaked that I haven't found a way to prove to myself I've backed up this phone. Do you know if that would include the photos I've got?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

The free RIM desktop software can (almost) fully back up your BB...you find that software here:

And conduct the backup via this:

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Note that the backup file created on your computer is proprietary, intended solely for being the source of restore to another BB. But, there are 3rd party PC apps out there that can parse it and present it in "human-readable" format...and even some that will save it to an Excel workbook for your use in other things.

As to "almost"...refer to this KB for all that the Desktop Software backs up:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

The one thing missing is BBM Contacts...but there is a workaround, and it actually fits right in with what I recommend...

1) Backup your BBM Contacts to your Media or Device Memory:

• KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

2) Use the Desktop Software to fully back up your BB

3) Use Mass Storage Mode to manually copy the entire contents of Device and Media Card memory to your PC (which will therefore include your BBM Contacts)

• KB11879 What is mass storage mode

For normal operation, I recommend those three steps be done weekly. If one has an adequate BB data plan, I further recommend adding a daily backup via BB Protect (using only WiFi if data network consumption is a concern).

Following that guideline, one will have everything, including photos and other files saved to Device or Media Card memory.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.