Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

2G 3G

In Mobile Network we can choose between 2G, 3G and 2G and 3G together. I would like to choose 3G (only),to avoid to surf the internet with the slow GPRS, but unfortunately with this choice, if 3G is not available where I am, I can't make phone calls. I thinke the choice should affect Data only and not Voice
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: 2G 3G

Probably not a good idea to force 3G only. Since 3G is not available in nearly as many places as 2G. If your force 3G you have nothing to fall back on. You best off letting the device auto select which ever connection it can get.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 2G 3G

Thank you for your note. I have to say that I spend a lot of time in large European cities where 3G, including HSDPA, is mostly available. However, I started with the “ 2G & 3G” option but I have noticed that in many cases it has been switching automatically to the 2G even if the 3G  was available with an adequate signal. Is it a bug? In any case why the choice between 2G and 3G is not effecting the Web browser only? Even for e-mails I think we can be almost indifferent between GPRS and 3G (I say "almost" because I have not checked yet if  there is a  time difference when opening attachments)