Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Berry_Pink
My Device: Blackberry bold 9000
Accepted Solution

4 flashing red lights wont turn on bold 9000

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, i didnt see one specifically for troubleshooting

i searched the forums but everyones problems were solved with steps i copied and it hasnt worked on mine, i bought a bold second hand ages ago and it was working fine until one night when i came in to find my phone switched off with 4 shortish/medium flashing red lights in a sequence, hasnt been dropped or waterdamaged and i had no apps on it and the stock os as i only need it for emails and texts. i cant get it to be recognised by the computer and i know the wire isnt faulty as i borrowed my friends 7230 wire (mini usb is the same for both models) and her 7230 and her husbands 9000 is recognised with and without the battery by my pc and hers.

ive tried the following:

1. battery pull - 1 long red light then the continuous four medium flashes over and over, same when i plug it into a pc (no red light or battery icon at all when plugged in without a battery)
2. using desktop manager - nothing happens no device detected
3. using the jl_cmder - no device detected
4. using apploader by itself - no device detected/ no way to get past the usb/com port screen as the 'next' button is greyed out
5. using apploader through command /nojvm - no device detected/no way to get past the usb/com port screen
6. quickly switching phones with my friend when her phone is recognised without a battery and a update is prompted, it sort of works by letting me choose the os but then says no device detected

can anyone please help me to fix it? this is my only phone
New Contributor
Berry_Pink

Re: 4 flashing red lights wont turn on bold 9000

bump :smileysad:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Berry_Pink

thank you for the reply, i tried a new battery and the old battery jump starting after two hours but nothings happened :/
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Sorry, but from those words, I'm confused. Are you saying that you did both the entire first 4h15m process, and it did not help? Further, that you tried a new battery, and it did not work? If so, then you've not quite completed everything that I recommended...please review exactly what I recommended and tell me if you've actually completed ALL of it. The specific results, especially from the two steps of the second test, will be most helpful indeed in knowing the root problem.

For instance...you said you tried "a new battery"...unfortunately, that does not meet my condition of "known good". While rare, a new battery can be defective. Rather, you should seek out someone with an identical BB and a fully charged and functioning battery...try that in your BB and see what happens. Likewise have them try your battery in their BB to see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Berry_Pink

i used my friends husbands 9000 battery which works fully and was charged up, my own battery worked in his blackberry but neither had a different effect in mine even after a few 2 hour cycles and battery pulls. i also tried another 9000 battery id ordered off the internet on monday as i was suspicious it was the battery or the charging port but ive been unable to test that as it is too wide to fit into my bold so i have to send it back so they can swap it for me
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

From all that you describe, I would deduce that your BB itself is the issue. Something is wrong inside, with the hardware. But, only a qualified hardware technician with the device in their hands can provide any further information. If you remain under warranty, then you should exercise that. If not, then your options will be much more challenging (e.g., finding a local shop with a technician you can trust).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Berry_Pink

thank you for all your help i will definitely take it to be fixed by a local shop or just sell it for parts and buy a cheap new one if it is too expensive to be worth it, no one on any other forum for blackberries has bothered to reply so im extra grateful for all your help
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates