Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Contributor
sam81
My Device: PlayBook 32GB, Z10, Bold 9700, Pearl 8110
My Carrier: ATT

9700 turns off/crashes

I've had the 9700 for about 2 months now and twice it has turned off unexpectedly (about a month apart each time) and the only way to get it back on was to plug it into the charger and wait 5 minutes or so and then it starts.  Battery is completely discharged then (50% before it turned off). Only third party apps are CNN launcher, Weather Channel launcher, Google Mobile App and Google Maps. The only common item each time was I was in the messages application; emails the first time and BBM the 2nd (today). OS is v5.xxx.296. It runs perfect otherwise. I got a message a few weeks ago there is a software upgrade available but have been reluctant to install b/c when I did my 8110 Pearl a year or so ago it started acting up afterwards. I know the 9000 was/is notorious for this but haven't read alot about the 9700. I thought for awhile I'd gotten lucky and got a flawless unit but it turns out not, I guess.  Any ideas for a fix anyone?  May end up doing the update to see IF that fixes it but who knows, huh? Thank you for any comments, help.  Sam

Please use plain text.
JulieW29
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: 9700 turns off/crashes

Sam I just had the same thing happen to my Bold 9700 and I haven't had it a month yet. So far no matter what I do I can't get it to turn back on. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Please use plain text.
ash785
My Device: blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: vodafone

i have had my bold for a few months and it has also just started crashing everytime i plug mine into charge, i havent been able to find any solutions or even the reason why it has started to do this as it has been perfect until now

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kens1
My Device: Not Specified

My bold 9700 does it once a week I have changed out my phone 4 times now. I do have a fix now to get it started download the operating system and reload it from the BB desktop manager it will restore it and get you back up.

There are issues with the 5.0 OS and it seems BB is sitting on their butts again!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kens1

The update does not fix the issue, but doesn't make it worse.

Please use plain text.
notaduffer
My Device: Bold 9700

I thought I was the only one whose phone completely shut down and wouldn't turn while charging!  The only way I am able to revive it is to disconnect and reconnect the battery.  This is my first experience with a Blackberry and I mistakenly thought it was more sophisticated than that!

Please use plain text.
anon12345
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Having the same problem.  Brand new phone.  Unbelievable.  Are they working on this?!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sam81
My Device: PlayBook 32GB, Z10, Bold 9700, Pearl 8110

I just had my third crash in as many months.  Happened last night when was BBM'ing my daughter.  She sent a pic by BBM, I accepted and before the download started it crashed again.  Only way to get it started was to plug the charger in and wait 5 minuites or so for it to restart.  The funny/weird thing about this all three crashes have happened almost a month apart to the day.  Twice I was in BBM and the very first time it happened I was reviewing emails, so it seems to be an issue with the messaging part of the 9700. Also, the battery is COMPLETELY discharged when it does restart (about at 50% capacity at crash).   I've not reloaded the OS because other than those 3 instances the unit has performed flawlessly. I'm afraid it will get worse if I try to 'fix' it.  You would think that the folks at RIM would monitor their own 'community forums' and would offer some kind of assistance to the people experiencing these kinds of issues. Don't get me wrong, I love my BB and the others I've had over the years but when you drop the kind of money for the 9700 that we've ALL dropped there should something done to help us out. Thats my 2 cents worth, I'm done now!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tlr1

Yeaaahhh, this was happening to me too-- thought it was just a bug or something that would go away w/ time. Boy was I wrong! I would suggest what kens1 has said; reload everything. And if you don't wish to go @ it on your own (like myself), call your carrier & have them connect you to RIM. (There's a $50 charge to call RIM directly) They will walk you thru the process, step-by-step. My 9700 would randomly restart itself all the time. Although I wouldn't considering this crashing though, bc when it actually does crash, it's not fun. It's happened to me twice. My curve crashed last yr, and I was on the phone w/ a RIM rep for about 2 hrs, before I got it back to normal. And I lost everything, so be sure to back up your files frequently, if you find that your bb is restarting itself, bc it could mean the worst is yet to come. But anyways, my 9700 finally crashed completely like 2 days ago. It was charging, and restarted. I didn't think anything of it, bc it'd happen before. But this time it came back on to a white screen that said something along the lines of 'reload software: 507'. I called t-mo & they couldn't diagnose the problem, so they connected me w/ RIM. The rep told me that it was probably restarting bc it had corrupt files or files that were working improperly-- or both. She told me that even though it's a fairly new device & that there are known bugs, it restarting itself is not normal, & that I should've called them when it first happened, so it didn't get to this point. She had me remove & re-download bb desktop manager (bc when I connected my dead bb, bb desktop manager failed to recognize the device), remove all the files off/wipe my phone, download handheld software from the t-mo site, & reload my software back onto my bb. All this is kinda time consuming, so we passed the time by talking about Canada. Haha. (Sidenote-- I never realized how funny Canadians' accents sound. They really do say 'about' a lot. Very, very nice & patient ppl though) She told me that after all that was done, it should no longer restart itself. It sucks though bc the last time I backed up my phone was in November, so of course I had all this random stuff from Nov. restored back onto my phone-- emails, text messages & BBMs included. Everything I added to my phone after Nov. is now gone (like contacts, 3rd party apps, memos, etc), so pleeeeeaaase back up your files at least once a month!
Please use plain text.
1clovergirl
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: tmobile

Te: T9700 turns off/crashes

This just happened to me, plugged my phone charger to the wall,set my alarm and woke up this morning to find phone completely shut off tried to turn it on but just a red blinking light and then nothing. connected it to my comp. and clicked on my desktop mang. and after a few mintues,it turned off. What is going on? How can this be fixed? I just got my 9700 about a month ago?

Please use plain text.