Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

shikhar007
My Device: 9220

Re: 9790 OS7.1 update no hotspot

My phone does not allow me to update my version, is it capable of getting upgraded.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

7.1.0.398  https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=51425B752A0B402ED3EFFC83FC4B...

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link above for the download, and follow these simple installation instructions.

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." (You might have another Vendor.xml file hiding on your computer. Open Windows Explorer and under the Organize button (on Windows 7, there are similar tools for Vista and XP) click on "Folder and search options." Under the View tab, make sure that your computer is set to show hidden folders and files. Once you've done this, search your C:\ drive for "Vendor.xml".)
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

**Starting with the later OS6 releases, there are now three copies of VENDOR.XML
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 32-bit Windows XP/Vista/7)
==========OR============
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 64-bit Windows Vista/7)
C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
You can also just search for VENDOR.XML. Make sure that you choose ADVANCED SEARCH and include hidden files. It should show the file in at three locations. Delete every copy that it finds.

Note: Some users might worry they will void their device warranty by loading an OS from another carrier. There is really nothing to worry about. Please read more information on that here: http://www.port3101.org/power-users/296-blackberry-os-upgrade-including-betas-myths-dispelled.html

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
shikhar007
My Device: 9220

it said no upgrade is required.

kindly support

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

did you do step 2 ? how many files did you delete?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Either you already have that OS file installed, or you didn't follow the directions.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
spoonmarvs
My Device: 9790

How about for the 9790? i have the same problem...i already updated to 7.1bundled 2039 (v7.1.0.714, Platform 9.16.0.158) but still mobile hotspot is not included...send me a link for the update
Please use plain text.
JSanders

spoonmarvs wrote:
How about for the 9790? i have the same problem...i already updated to 7.1bundled 2039 (v7.1.0.714, Platform 9.16.0.158) but still mobile hotspot is not included...send me a link for the update

Aside from having the correct OS release ((v7.1.0.714 is good), your mobile provider must allow the mobile hotspot feature. You need to ask Etisalat if they allow the mobile hotspot feature.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
spoonmarvs
My Device: 9790

thank you, i will ask the provider first...
Please use plain text.
t0nichi
My Device: BB Bold 9790

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. I have been using my phone as a mobile hotspot for months. A few hours ago, i noticed that my other device which i connect to my BB's mobile hotspot to access the net, had no internet signal. I checked my BB and was surpised that the WiFi and Mobile Hotspot options were missing from the Manage Connections screen. I called my service provider and they are also stumped as to why this happened.

I tried hard-booting my phone, re-did my settings while being assisted by my mobile provider, and updated all applications that needed updating, but the option for WiFi and Mobile Hotspot is still not available.

Additionally, I installed the Blackberry Desktop Software and connected my phone onto my laptop but nothing is happening (I get a prompt on my phone's screen to either Charge, Synch or use as a USB device... i choose Synch)

Here are details of my phone.

BB Bold 9790

OS 7.1 Bundle 1647 (v7.1.0.523, Platform 9.16.0.128)

Again, I have always had the ability to use my phone as a mobile hotspot and my provider has confirmed this so I do not know why the option suddenly disappeared.

Help!

=============

QUICK UPDATE

I tried tinkering with the settings of my phone.

-I went to "Options" and tapped on "Networks and Connections"

- Next, I changed Network Mode to 3G & 2G (it was like this when my WiFi and Mobile hotspot disappeared but my provider asked me to change it to just 3G --- that didn't work).

- Next, I clicked on "Media Server" and clicked on "File Sharing" I was prompted that WiFi is needed and I clicked something to turn it on.

When I checked... the option for Wifi and Mobile Hotspot were once again available in my Manage Connections screen.

I used my other device and connected to the mobile hotspot ... it's working fine!

not sure what happened but I'm glad it's fixed!

Please use plain text.