Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
rubixs46
My Device: bold 9790
My Carrier: 3

9790 red cross battery issue

i'm looking at a 9790 it had or still has the red cross battery issue,i have 3 batterys 2 brand new & the 1 that came with phone.

last night i thought i had cured the problem as i connected device to pc & did an update then it booted its self up,i left the battery in for it to fully charge.then tried out the other 2 batterys & both was charging up up.so i left the 1 battery on charge over night & when i came to it this morning it had the dreaded red cross again.so i did the same as i did last night & its come back on but its unpredictable as it will keep going back to the dreaded red cross.

is there a fix or something i should do to stop this getting the red cross,i have scourered the internet for answers but cant find anything to this perticular model.

any help or replys would be gratefully welcome,cheers

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 9790 red cross battery issue

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. I realize you've tried multiple batteries already, but do understand that "known good" and "new" are not necessarily the same thing...while rare, new batteries certainly can be defective. The best method is to find an identical BB that does not have this problem...trade batteries and see what happens.

Given what you reported, I actually doubt that the battery will be indicated as causal...rather, something strange about your BB itself. But let's hear the result of these tests before we proceed beyond.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rubixs46

i have allready came across this method but it was dismissed by others & i've come to conculsion its not the batterys its the phone its self.
thanks for your reply though
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...so have you determined it to be hardware, OS, or software?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rubixs46

i think its a faulty phone not the os
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

In which case there is nothing anyone at an internet-distance can do for you. Only in-hand evaluation by a qualified hardware technician can provide you with a proper diagnosis and estimate.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
brenda-fazekas
My Device: Blackberry 9790
My Carrier: Bell

After the battery has charged for 2 hours, and then removed for 15 minutes....are you suppose to have the blackberry plugged into a charging source when you put it back in for the second 2 hours???

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

brenda-fazekas wrote:

After the battery has charged for 2 hours, and then removed for 15 minutes....are you suppose to have the blackberry plugged into a charging source when you put it back in for the second 2 hours???

Yes, as the instructions above state:

• "note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB)"

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.