Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
preet996
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

9900 Keyboard slow to respond [can only press one key at time...one press of alt, blackberry thinks it's 2 clicks], Trackpad only works left right [even though audible click occurs up/down], carried out blackberry test, done full system restore, newest operating system [7.1 bundle 1149]

[ Edited ]

9900 Keyboard slow to respond [can only press one key at time...one press of alt, blackberry thinks it's 2 clicks], Trackpad only works left right [even though audible click occurs up/down], carried out blackberry test, full system restore, newest operating system [7.1 bundle 1149]

The title explains the issue really. Immense frustration. No water damage. It just happened. 

The screen sometimes automatically goes off and it takes pressing the lock button a few times to get it working again. 

I'm quite confident it's a software issue rather than a hardware problem. I've tried a full system wipe, with software, so I'm really not sure what it could be. 

Please help!!!

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: 9900 Keyboard slow to respond [can only press one key at time...one press of alt, blackberry thinks it's 2 clicks], Trackpad only works left right [even though audible click occurs up/down], carried out blackberry test, done full system restore, newest operating system [7.1 bundle 1149]

You're going to be amazed at how quickly and easily we can probably solve this issue.

While your phone is powered on, remove your battery then replace it.  Let your phone reboot after that and see if the problem persists (I'm guessing it'll be gone).

Please post back with your results.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
preet996

Re: 9900 Keyboard slow to respond [can only press one key at time...one press of alt, blackberry thinks it's 2 clicks], Trackpad only works left right [even though audible click occurs up/down], carried out blackberry test, done full system restore, newest operating system [7.1 bundle 1149]

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue. :smileysad:

Thank you for the quick reply though. 

Any other suggestions?

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I suspected it might not after having done a system wipe but it was worth trying anyway.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Visitor
knappy
My Device: Bold 9900

Hi All, I am having a similar issue but not quite the same, since I upgraded to 7.1 the 'a' key is slow and sometimes takes a few clicks to get it to display when texting then displays 'aa', also the back key doesn't work all the time either, usually after a period of inactivity and after a while they start working ok, if i do a memory clean they seem to work fine for quite a while and then later they start playing up again, i don't think it is a hardware issue at all but a software issue, has anyone come accross this issue at all? it worked fine before the upgrade.

New Contributor
dsouth

I am having the exact same problem right now with my 9900. Were you ever able to find a solution?

New Contributor
preet996

It was a while ago that I posted this. From what I remember, after carrying out a hard reset and after a while, it just randomly stopped happening and it was fine. I ended up selling and moving to android soon after though. 

Hope you can sort it out! :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
IanKR
My Device: Q10

I suffered from this a month or so ago with my 9900. Certain keys did not register on first press... then sometimes they would! Had to keep looking at the display while typing, otherwise I'd end up with either no letter at all, or multiple/upper-case letters instead of single lower-case. It seemed to be worse for keys on the top row. Tried battery-pulls, OS re-installs... In the end I bought a new keyboard and installed it myself. This is fairly easy, taking about 5 minutes, having seen a video of someone doing it on YouTube. Doing this obviously violates your warranty, if it's still within warranty, but it certainly beats sending it back to my carrier and waiting without a phone while they fix it. Since then, it's worked like new, and the cost to me was about £5 (cost of new keyboard + toolkit). I'd had my 9900 for two years when this started happening, and was not caused by moisture damage. Probably dust?

Ian

----------------------------------------------------
Q10 | Vodafone UK | London
New Contributor
dsouth

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I tried to update by OS last night in a last ditch effort to fix this problem and ended up with an even bigger problem. My BB is permanently frozen in reboot mode ever since installing the new OS. What a nightmare! I have no clue what to do at this point!