Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
zimmelbc
My Device: Bold 9930

9930 won't turn on

I have the Verizon 9930 and I am currently unable to get the device to boot. I installed OS 7.0.0.374 last Tuesday 10/25 and the device has been running fine, including on a 4+ hour drive on Friday where I played podcasts and Pandora. Friday night I opened Foursquare and ScoreMobile but forgot to close those programs before I went to sleep, which I usually always exit those apps when I'm finished. I forgot my charger and woke up Saturday to a dead phone. I borrowed a friend's charger for her older Bold and got it up to a charge of 1 bar when I took the device off the charger to use - apps, bmm, voicemail - no problems. I returned it to the charger and checked on it later to see it was about 90% charged. That was the last time my Blackberry worked. I went back to check on it an hour or so later - the phone was off and it was displaying a red LED that stays on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds. I kept charging it but it would not turn on. I tried a different charger but still no luck. After leaving it off the charger it just goes completely dead with no LED. When I returned home I found forum posts saying to pull the battery, plug in a charger, then replace the battery but that didn't work. I did notice the battery with yellow lightning bolt appear in the middle of the screen after I replaced the battery while plugged into my MacBook, but then it returned to the LED on/off state. Every time the red LED turns on my Desktop Manager says it cannot connect to the device, then once the LED turns off it says it's connecting. This makes me think it's a software issue and the device keeps rebooting. I plan to leave it charging overnight but if it doesn't come back to life I'll be at Verizon tomorrow asking for a replacement. Other than not being able to log in with my Blackberry ID until I tricked it to let me reenter the ID and password, I've had no problems with this device until now. Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a way to fix the device?

Contributor
tarundas
My Device: Storm 9530

Re: 9930 won't turn on

[ Edited ]

"battery with yellow lightning bolt appear in the middle of the screen"  indicates that your battery is drained out completely.  Charge it with your PC USB cable for couple of hours ...I repeat with PC USB cable. Unattended charging with wall charger is not recommended as overcharging could drain the battery completely ( yes, that happened to me and many others) and you will have no clue when you get up in the morning. After charging couple of hours ( 2 -6 ) pull your battery while device is still connected to USB then put the battery back in after 3-4 seconds ...be patient ...try couple of times ... if your phone is not back charge few more hours then try battery pull again. If that does not help replacing  your battery with a new one will fix the problem.

New Contributor
zimmelbc

Thanks for the advise but I couldn't get the device to work. Verizon is shipping me a new one.

New Contributor
Britgal
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930

I downloaded the software on Tuesday evening. Phone went completely dead during the download. Tried battery in and out and re-charging and still nothing. Have only had the phone for 1 month. Took it to Verizon store last night and I received replacement phone this morning. Although I am impressed with the speed, the new phone I received is refurbished (not brand new) and this infuriates me as I bought a brand new phone (which is not cheap and they replace it with a used one??) I have not tried this phone yet as my battery and charger is at home. The guy in the store said that the battery was good even though it did not appear to be charging, it was the phone that was fried. Hopefully when I get home and re-insert the battery from the old phone it will work.

How does anyone else feel about getting used phones for new phones?? Verizon told me that most all of their replacements are refurbished phones!!!!!     

mannysteiner
My Device: 9930

Having the same problem after just over 2 months of ownership.  Very similar story to yours where it was partially charged, working fine, then I went to charge it fully from BB wall charger and it was dead except for the intermittent red LED.  Tried everything with batteries, plugged in, removing SIM and memory card.

Took it into Verizon, they are sending a new one.

BOTTOM LINE:  The 9930 is junk and spells the end of Blackberry.  RIP RIM.

dasani
My Device: blackberry bold 9930

I can't believe so many people having this many problems!! Same thing happened to me today. I let the phone die, fell asleep before charging, and now won't charge except for the red LED light!! Just bought 2 months ago too!!! The battery only lasted for about 9 hours anyway.
mannysteiner

took it to Verizon store and they had it switched under warranty, new phone seems to be operating well and without issues.  some of the older models may just have had bugs, time will day.

rjh931

I have the same issue. Flashing RED light no power up. Tried to reload OS and phone will not stay connected, tried to use apploader.exe and this will not work. Battery is new and light still flashes. Phone is useless, this is the second 9930 that has done this. We have 10 phones in company and replaced 8530 with 9930 for management. 8530 are working flawlessly and 9930 one lasted 2 weeks and the other lasted 3.5 weeks. Both failed with same problem running OS 7. This is a real problem for RIM and it needs corrected because these phone are not cheaper models. Bought new phones and they are junk. Not recommended until this issue is first acknowledged by RIM and then corrected. We are a small communications computer company that recommends and installs Blackberry Servers and devices along with our other communication PBX Systems. How are we suppose to recommend a product which we cannot use. Thanks,

Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900

[ Edited ]

I am also one of the disheartened many who have purchased this absolute failure in a long line of thoroughbreds. The Bold line has been the Flagship of BB for so long I can't understand their catastrophic fail in the 99XX series.  I have spent many hours pouring over this problem. I, in my spare time buy broken BB's and repair them to sell. So I have had tones of BB phones pass before me. As for the Charging indicator on the screen of the otherwise dead phone, I have tried to let the computer charge the phone, but for some reason, even though the phone is "off/dead" as soon as there is enough of a charge present and detected in the battery, the phone tries to boot up; henceforth draining the battery... I have used an external battery charger to top up the battery. Voltage reading of 3.94 volts in the fully charged battery, so I know it is not any fault of the battery. Battery pulls, multiple times, still no power on, just the same boot looping. Three different official Verizon OS versions, Battery pulls, Computer power vs. External charger, and the only image I have ever seen is one of either the Missing Battery or the Battery charge indicator. I don't know what to say. RIM really needs to step up here and take one for the TEAM, or they will find that the TEAM has gone over to their rivals.

Remember, There is never a stupid question, just stupid answers.

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

New Contributor
cbanks_80

It is a problem with the boot rom. Plug the BB into your PC and run Apploader. YOu will need to bootstrap the device. This means run apploader when the red light comes on. YOu will need to reinstall the OS.