Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
xoreekahx20
My Device: Blackberry Pearl ATT

ATT Bold and Wi-Fi

I know the BB Bold supports Wi-Fi, but does it require a data plan to access it since you are not using any ATT network to do so?

If not is there any charge for connecting to Wi-Fi say at your local Starbucks, or even in your home? And, what all can you do while connected to Wi-Fi?

Thanks!

Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: ATT Bold and Wi-Fi

No, if you have Wifi you can use without data plan.

To connect to WIFI in any Starbucks you need a Password, but for example if you want to connect the device to your home Wifi network is 100 % free. 

My advise, if you have a Blackberry Bold without any data plan you're using the 80 % of the features availables. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor
xoreekahx20
My Device: Blackberry Pearl ATT

I don't currently have the Bold, but I am recieving one for a late Christmas present depending on if things work out with ATT. I'm trying to work out all the questions and uncertainties I have about the phone before I get one.

If I don't get a data plan say, for a couple months, is it worth it to buy the phone now and use it until I do get a plan? Or would it really be that useless to where I should wait?

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You will no use of RIM push email without a data plan.

You will be able to use say the Google mail app, but only while on WiFi.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
nate22c
My Device: Not Specified

I have service through ATT and have a couple questions that I hope you guys can help answer.  First, I was planning on getting a bold without the data plan because I am a college student and am almost always around a wifi connection.  How will I need to set up my bold so that I am sure that I do not connect to the ATT data network and get a massive charge?  Also, I was wondering if I do get the bold without the data plan, will I still be able to use blackberry messenger?  And I was wondering if there was anything that I needed to do special to make it work over wifi?  I'm a newbie, any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

How will I need to set up my bold so that I am sure that I do not connect to the ATT data network and get a massive charge? 

You can turn off the data services, press menu, manage connections, mobile network options, and turn off data services.

Also, I was wondering if I do get the bold without the data plan, will I still be able to use blackberry messenger? 

No, without data plan you can't use the Blackberry Messenger.

And I was wondering if there was anything that I needed to do special to make it work over wifi? 

No, nothing special, only the Wifi ssetup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor
mbcb4ever
My Device: Not Specified

I just got the bold and going to sign up for the data in a month or so. Until then how to you use the wifi without 3g kicking in. If you shut off the data the browser will not work. I take out my sim card and turn on data and I can use wifi. I have my wifi names free on the phone.If I go to wifi connections then selection mode to manual then select my home wifi is that using wifi at home only? next to the att it states my home wifi.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can turn off data on the Bold and WiFi still work. I've done it. You don't even need a SIM card for WiFi to work, as long as you have Options > Advanced > Browser set to HotSpot browser.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Wire_Mesh
My Device: Bold 9000 (Curve 8310 Expert)

I just wanted to say that with any Blackberry Wi-Fi phone, the Wi-Fi is completely free but you have to have the Data Services Option turned on. I have this turned on and I set the Fire wall to block multimedia and internet so I do not get charged. Hope this helps.