Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
raygtx
My Device: Bold 9930

Active Sync for Bold 9930

[ Edited ]

Why doesn't RIMM allow user to choose whether they want to use blackberry service for email, calendar and task. I myself would love if my 9930 was able to connect my email, calendar, and task through active sync like my playbook does. It just would make perfect sense if RIMM Allowed this feature. BB10 phones will have it, why not BB7 phones?

RayGTX
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Active Sync for Bold 9930

Hi raygtx and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

These features are available with a Microsoft® Exchange via the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.  For more information, take a look at the following.

http://us.blackberry.com/business/software/bes.html

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
raygtx

Cpt_Sweatpants wrote:

Hi raygtx and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

These features are available with a Microsoft® Exchange via the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.  For more information, take a look at the following.

http://us.blackberry.com/business/software/bes.html

Thanks.

Yes I know that through BES and exchange this is available. But i want to be able to do this w/o an exchange server or BES. The iphone and android phones do this already w/o using anything else. Why can't RIMM allow us to do the same. Also, there is a premium price that you must pay the carrier in order to make this work. If RIMM allows for active sync through BB7 a lot of customers will be happy and not choose the alternative. I know RIMM wants to keep that market revenue coming but at the expense of the customer where the competitor does this already. I know BB10 will support this, why not allow BB7 to use it also.

RayGTX
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

"Why" is a very difficult question for anyone to answer. The answer is rooted in proprietary and forward looking information which quite simply cannot be revealed in public. But, my guess is that it has to do with Security. As the most secure mobile device available, BBs cannot be compared with those other devices in this manner...at present, if those features you desire were to be offered now, I fear that security would be compromised, which would be a very bad thing indeed. But, that's just my opinion...and opinion is really all you can receive in response to your "why" questions.

Here's another contrast (since that's actually more appropriate than comparisons) to ActiveSync environments. With those others, the on-device email client is a full email client, handling all activity between the device and the email server. With BBs, there is the BIS service which functions as the intermediary between the BB and the email service.

Consider now data plan consumption...on non-BBs, there is consumption of data for the mere act of the on-device email client checking to see if there is anything new on the server that needs to come to the device (yes, there are some PUSH, but many remain PULL). With BBs, the carrier/RIM hosted BIS service performs that "check for new" function, and thereby generates no traffic to the BB unless and until there actually is something to do. For people on limited data plans, this can be quite important indeed!

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
raygtx

I do understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense. But with out active sync, my blackberry is pretty much useless since it won't sync my calendar with my bold unless i use BES with exchange. I currently have a live email account and don't really want to change to another email provider. Let me ask you this, does the calendar contact, task and email sync with gmail? If it does, this will solve my problem and I'll just switch my email account. 

RayGTX
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I don't think LIVE is yet supported nor are tasks, but OTA calendar and contacts are available with Google and Yahoo, if I am recalling correctly...see these for reference:

• KB03652 Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features
  • KB22430 How to enable wireless contact synchronization with BlackBerry Internet Service
  • KB24204 How to enable or disable calendar synchronization with a integrated Gmail email account

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
raygtx

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I just have one more question and I'm done. Is it microsoft Live that still hasn't set up Calendar for OTA or is it Blackberry?

RayGTX
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Not being an "insider", I have no way to know the true answer to that question. But, given that other environments can synchronize calendar against Live (at least, I think they can...I don't truly know for sure), then my guess would be that it's BIS that is not yet able to do it. My further guess is that RIM must continue to keep Security paramount in all development that they do (or intend to do), and that naturally will lengthen the time it takes to release anything of this nature, and may well preclude some things from ever existing. But, again, I have no authoritative information on any of this.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates