Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

DeepSpaceMan
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Add a personal email account to my Company-supplied BBB

Hello,

I have just been upgraded by my company to a BlackBerry Bold 9000.  My company set up the device to be synchronized with our Microsoft Exchange server.  That part works perfectly.  What I would like to do is add a connection to my personal gmail account.  I could go the browser route to access my webmail but that would not really be integrated.

I started into the process of "setting up a personal email account" but the setup process appears to require that I "sign up" for BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).  The screens ask for me to "Create a new account" or login to an existing account.  I tried using my existing gmail account information but, as I suspected, that did not work.  The login being requested is a BIS login.

What I am wondering is, would the fact that my company already set up the phone for MS Exchange service mean that an account already exists and I should therefore get the login info from them?  Or is MS Exchange a completely different beast and I would need to sign up for a new BIS account if I want to integrate my web gmail account?

Also, is the BIS service generally an additional charge or usually included as part of the basic service?

Deep Space Man

New Contributor
precedenttech

Re: Add a personal email account to my Company-supplied BBB

Hi Deep Space Man,

To set up your personal e-mail on your Bold, you should take the following steps:

1. Go to the setup menu on your phone

2. Select "Personal e-mail setup"

3. Fill in pertinent information regarding your personal e-mail account such as e-mail address and password. 

4. You'll receive an e-mail from "Activation Server" letting you know the process is completed. The e-mail will also tell you to set your e-mail client to "Leave Messages on server", if you use Outlook or another client for retreiving your personal e-mail.

5. Once you retrun to your home screen, you'll see an icon for your new mail account.

I performed these procedures on my Bold and a Bellsouth e-mail account. G-mail should work the same way. If you have any issues, I would check first with your IT department. If they aren't the issue, I'd check with the wireless provider.

Good luck.

Developer
bigc
My Device: 9000, 9780, 9900

You might want to take a look at the gmail application for Blackberry.

http://www.google.com/mobile/blackberry/mail.html

One issue with BES+BIS is that all mail ends up in the same "inbox" on your device.  The gmail app keeps them separate.

Please mark solved and/or add kudos if this helps.

BBunny6

Hello bb fam,

That's the question I need answered.  Is there a way to separate BES from messages?  Can you make a separate folder like BIS for your company emails?

Thanks

New Contributor
wbg406

Although you BIS mail will end up inteh same folder as you BES mail, they are not routed through your BES and will not be identified by it. Your BES admin can block you from creating a BIS accoutn wiht a policy, but this does not seem to be the case based on your description. If you want to completely seperat the boxes, I would suggest what the prior reply stated, that is, download the Google app with GMAil and any mail that goes through that app will not appear in your BES folder. Hope that helps.