Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2 Germany

After asking repeatedly for security key, phone deleted all accounts and most data

Dear support team,

I have owned and used my BB bold 9700 for about 4 years without severe issues.

About 3 weeks ago the phone started complaining about expired certificates and gave four options for how to proceed. One required entering a security key which I definitely never set.

I was also given the choice to continue, which I picked in order to proceed for the last few weeks.

After this occured over and over, I thought it would be wise to set a security key and to enter it. Somehow, I must have messed up the process.

Last night, I updated BBM and thought this would be ok now, but the question came back again. I think I hit the maximum number of trials (10) without success and the phone deleted basically all settings.

Some data was kept: documents, photos and apps. My accounts, addresses and notes seem to have been deleted however.

Is there any way to restore the information? I have to admit that I did never run a backup.

Thank you for your kind support.

Sincerely,

Max

Solutions: 6,134
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: After asking repeatedly for security key, phone deleted all accounts and most data

If you never had a backup, there is no way to restore the information.

Do you have Protect installed on your device?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: After asking repeatedly for security key, phone deleted all accounts and most data

Dear JSanders

Thank you for your swift response.

No backup done. I will install Protect this month. The only data lost are some notes and the address book. I still don't understand how pictures and documents can be there, but not the notes and contacts. It seems there are no files for these. Makes you wonder about the setup of the bb.

Best

Max

Solutions: 6,134
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The security wipe would wipe the device memory , not the media card.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code