Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Annoying music autoplay on bluetooth connect

I have not seen this issue with a 9700 and paired with a VM 605 or HS 500.

What BT devices are you using?

What exact OS is your smartphone running on?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

As you can see from the thread, numerous people are having this problem.  For my part, my Bold 9700 is running OS v5.0.0.296 Platform 5.1.0.83 and the problem occurs when using the Sync system in my Mercury Sable.  I have not used this particular phone with any BT headsets yet, so, I cannot speak to those devices.  It definitely occurs with devices that leverage the BT stereo audio function.  And it is a total pain in the butt.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I don't think it's an issue with BT headsets.  It's an issue with BT stereos.  I'm not sure which BT profile that is but the services listed for my Acura HandsFreeLink is:

• Handsfree
  • Object Push
  • A/V Remote Control
  • Audio SInk

My guess is that it's the Handsfree profile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#Hands-Free_Profile_.28HFP.29).

-=Kevin=-

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Same issue here with the 9530.  Everytime I plug in my headset, the media player starts automatically.  Very, very annoying. Any ideas?

New Contributor

The bluetooth "autoconnect/autoplay" bug described in this thread, happens with my Blackberry Bold 9700, 5.0.0.330 (Platform 5.1.0.91), and exhibits itself when paired with a bluetooth stereo device, as in my car, (2010 Toyota Prius). As described in this thread, it's a problem that occurs when trying to use the Blackberry as a bluetooth music player connecting to a car bluetooth audio system. It does not occur when autoconnecting to a standard paired bluetooth headset, like my Plantronics Discovery 925.

However, the problems with bluetooth and the Blackberry media player, go back a bit further, and deserve some attention from developers. This is my summary of the problems that occur when using a Blackberry device as a bluetooth music player, connected to a bluetooth car audio system;

1. When loaded, the Blackberry 4.x, (and now 5.x), OS media player will issue a stop command when a call is received or made. This means that you have to start the song over again from the beginning, once the call is done. The correct behavior should for the media player to issue a pause command, when a call is made or received.
  2. When loaded, the Blackberry 4.x, (and now 5.x), OS media player will issue a stop command when disconnecting from the car BT audio system, (like turning the car off). The correct behavior should be to issue a pause command when disconnecting the BT connection.
  3. When loaded, the Blackberry 4.x OS media player will issue a play command when initially connecting to the car BT audio system. I want this feature, but there should be an option to enable or disable, this media player BT "autoplay upon autoconnect" feature.
  4. The Blackberry 5.x OS media player has added a serious bug to this mix, which is well described in this thread. Now, when the inital BT audio connection is made, no matter what's loaded on my Blackberry, the media player is loaded, all songs are selected for play in random shuffle mode, and the player starts playing the first song. (I currently have 1800 songs on my media card, so every day there's a new surprise). This is a definite bug that needs to be addressed by the developers. At the minimum it should be reversed to the 4.x media player behavior described in #3.

If anyone can provide a contact point for the developers for the media player, I would be happy to forward these comments to them directly, or you may feel free to forward these comments on to them yourself. (Also if anyone knows of another media player for the Blackberry that behaves correctly, please feel free to add the suggestion to this thread).

Thanks..

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should have also added that when a call is terminated, the media player should issue a play command and continue playing from the paused spot, when the call was taken/made.

For those following this issue, I made a forum post here, at the BlackBerry Support Community Forums: BlackBerry Development: Product Management: The BlackBerry Application Platform forum, but there's been no response to that post. I'm not even sure RIM developers are aware of this bug.

If anyone else has either seen a new update to the Blackberry media player, that fixes this bug, or addresses some of these media player issues, please post your experiences, including software version installed, etc. Otherwise it seems like the usability of the Blackberry as a car MP3 player, will continued to be limited until these issues are addressed.

Thanks..

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

So if you open up media player, play a song and press the esc button (to the right of touch pad) and connect to BT does the music play?

What happens when you close the player with the BB icon and close out all the way?

When connecting to my HS500 I dont hear any music play unless I forgot to close the player completely.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I don't know if everyone who was experiencing this bug has seen it addressed in an OS update or not. I've not tried updating my 9700 OS yet. However, I did discover something strangely related. I was trying out alternative media players, and specifically because I use my 9700 to listen to Podcasts, I loaded Podtrapper 2.6.9 in trial mode, and discovered that with Podtrapper loaded, when the bluetooth connection is made to my car's stereo system, nothing happens. The media player doesn't load and start playing songs, (it doesn't even load). I confirmed this behavior by trying out another media player app, BerryTunes 2.5, (or Tunes), and again, with the app loaded, once the bluetooth connection gets made, nothing else happens.

I'm not suggesting that purchasing another media player app just to stop this bug from happening is an actual solution, but if you do purchase, or have another media player app, handy, then keeping it loaded seems to be a way to stop the annoying "media player autoload/autoplay on bluetooth connection" bug from happening.

Good Luck..

My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Go to the "Manage Connections" icon. Select "Bluetooth Options" and then "Options" after pressing the menu button. Scroll to the bottom, uncheck "A/V Remote Control Target".

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

While this does stop the autoplay bug from happening, (and still allow you to play music through the Blackberry using the Blackberry media player controls), it's not a real solution to the problem because it disables controlling the media player from the Bluetooth controls on the stereo device you're connected to. When I disabled the A/V Remote Control Target, in the Options -> Bluetooth -> Options page, the only thing that my car system bluetooth control could do was pause the playback, (not even resume playing).

Good Luck..