Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
irishpadres
My Device: Not Specified

Annoying music autoplay on bluetooth connect

I upgraded from a Bold 9000 to a Bold 9700 and am now having a very annoying issue.  Any time I start my car and the bluetooth connects, the media player starts playing music.  I can't seem to find a way to disable this auto-play feature and this didn't happen on my 9000/OS4.6. Anyone have any ideas?

dcstrickland

Re: Annoying music autoplay on bluetooth connect

I have the exact same problem, and I too, can't figure out how to turn this off. Please help.

New Contributor
irishpadres

No one has any insight?  If this is a new feature, can we at least have the option to disable it?

New Contributor
rlrnetwork

Same issue here... but on the BB Storm 9530.  Also started when I upgraded the OS. Very annoying. HELP! Please

Regular Contributor
nfld_sapper
My Device: Z10

I get the same problem when attaching the supplied wired handsfree headset. Wish there was a way to disable it.....

New Contributor
watzspot
My Device: Bold 9700

I just started having this issue today. Still no resolution?

New Contributor
jasn

Along with the others posting here, I too have this same problem, along with an earlier BT connection / media player problem. Since getting my Curve 8900, (4.x OS), I've happily used my BBerry as my exclusive car MP3 player. The sound is great and it syncs up perfectly over bluetooth, plus it's convenient to leave the additional MP3 player at home now. There was only one problem that I had with this setup. Whenever I would turn off the car, (thereby disconnecting the bluetooth connection with the BBerry), the media player, (the Now Playing program), would stop the current song playing. However, my preference would be to have it pause the current song playing, (or worst case not do anything at all, and force me to pause the song manually). The problem I have with this configuration is if I'm halfway through an hour long podcast, when I start my car up again, it starts playing the same song/podcast, but from the beginning again, exactly as if you had hit stop and then play again. What's really frustrating is when I forget to look down and see exactly where I am in the podcast before I turn the car off, I spend countless minutes later trying to find the point in the podcast where I left off.

As annoying as that problem is, there is a more problematic manifestation of the same issue. Whenever I receive a call while the media player is playing, upon receiving the call the media player is again stopped, and after disconnecting the call the media player doesn't even autoplay the song loaded. You have to go to the media player to restart the musc playing, and if you simply hit play again, the song will be played, starting from the beginning. It's criminal not to have the media player pause when a call comes in, and then resume when the call is terminated, all without user intervention. (Remember they want us to stop messing about with our phones while we drive..)

In terms of BT and autoplay, it should be noted that with the 8900, (4.x OS), if I had the media player loaded, and I started the car, as soon as the Bluetooth connection was made, the media player would autoplay the song currently loaded. Again my only gripe with this is that it should be pause and then resume, whenever the BT connection is disconnected and then reconnected, not stop and restart. The problem here is with the stop command that is issued to the media player when the BT disconnects. If the BT is disconnected and I load a podcast in the media player, skip to anywhere in the mp3, and then pause the media player, and THEN start the car, when the BT connects, it will autoplay from the paused point.

I then upgraded to the Bold 9700, (5.x OS), and in addition to the problems mentioned above, I have noticed this now super annoying behavior of autoplaying upon Bluetooth connect, REGARDLESS of whether or not the media player is running. (It will even load all songs in shuffle mode, and I have an 8gb media card). Now as much as I appreciate the RIM engineers forcing me to rediscover the more obscure songs I have on my media card, I would really like there to be an option available to turn this feature off. (I can't find one however). The one thing I haven't tried yet is turning off the auto connect in the BT, and see what kind of behavior that creates. Although for obvious reasons that's an unacceptable solution. What we need are two new options for the media player;

1) Bluetooth connect Media Player Autoplay: On/Off

2) Bluetooth disconnect Media Player Pause: On/Off

I am hopeful that someone reading this thread can either share this feedback with the dev team for the BBerry media player, or provide us with an email contact for feedback to the dev team for the BBerry media player. Also if anyone has anything else to add here, please feel free. Finally I tried a couple of other media players and couldn't find any that I was happy with. If anyone klnows of a media player for the BBerry that handles the BT connects/disconnects correctly, as per above, then please share the info/feedback.

Thanks..

Contributor
guitarguy
My Device: storm2 9550

Ditto, I have this same problem and it sucks. From what I have been able to find out is its a new feature for 5.0 o.s. to  atomatically start media music upon bluetooth connection. I have not been able to figure out a way to disable this new feature but it annoys the heck out of me. Even if I activate Slacker or Pandora it plays in the background so when I disconnect all of a sudden I get media files playing music through the storms speaker, sounds like **bleep**.

New Contributor
jasn

Does anyone know where we can submit this as a bug report to RIM developers? The last time I tried using the support email alias with RIM, it bounced back to me to say something to the effect, take it up with your provider. This issue is certainly not something T-Mobile will be able to address.

Thanks..

New Contributor
ccolburn

Same issue here.  It is an extremely irritating undocumented "feature" (BUG).  There must be some intent to resolve this by RIM.  They keep adding features that they think we will enjoy but don't have the sense to make them user configurable.  (Such as the forced Yes / No on BBM end conversation).