Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
ligayadiwata

Application error; all things message-related are missing!

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 

The real reason I joined this comm was to be able to assist my mother in troubleshooting her problems with her BlackBerry Bold 9000.

Right now I am stumped with the sudden loss of applications. According to her, two days ago she left her Bold almost a foot away from her laptop, face up and in its holster. When she returned to it after a 3-hour long meeting, she found that it had an "Application error" message on it. She tried pushing buttons and rolling the ball; it didn't work. In desperation she removed her battery and did a hard reset. She got her phone running again, and in fact it's doing fine, but the Messages app and icon have been missing ever sice then. She doesn't know if she's receiving any messages via email or SMS. 

I would like to know if it's possible to restore the Messages app and icon, as well as any of the other missing apps and icons, without having to do a clean reboot (my mum can neither afford nor bear to lose her SMS messages).  

I promise to update you with more helpful details once I get them from her. Unfortunately, there are a few details we cannot supply:

1) The look of the original interface. Sadly, we don't remember this. 

2) The third-party application/download which may have triggered this error before it went into effect. All I know is, my mum has these apps: Google Maps,Yahoo!Search, Windows Live Messenger, Facebook, Yahoo!Messenger and Google Talk.

Finally, her phone was bought in HongKong, not in Manila (where we live), and so my mum had to use her own data plan (Globe Telecom Platinum, a local leading telecom brand). This was in early February of this year; Globe came out with its BlackBerry Smartphone plans on mid-to-late April of this year.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Message Edited by ligayadiwata on 09-10-2009 08:19 AM
Message Edited by ligayadiwata on 09-10-2009 08:25 AM
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,747
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Application error; all things message-related are missing!

First off, was she using the normal routine BlackBerry email folders? Not a third party application like the Google Mail application?

Second, tell her to look at Options > Status > Menu key > Database sizes. Scroll down to Messages. Is there any size and quantity listed, like 254/118kb?

Same for the SMS messages.

If that information is present, then her messages and SMS have not been deleted.

Try this on the device, open the Options icon and select Themes. Try a different theme. Now are the messages folder showing?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Edit -- Beat by JSanders! But, any of this might be useful!

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

I can appreciate your situation, but please understand that it will be even more difficult for us to untangle the situation since, even with the information you cannot remember, you still have an infinite quantity of more and better information than we do. But we will try...

Data Plan -- one thing that could be contributing is the type of data plan. For email, a generic data plan is typically not suffucient...The BlackBerry Data Plan (as it is often called) is required. I've no idea what it is called on your carrier, but you should first inquire with the carrier to ensure that the plan on the device inlcudes all of the services desired...nothing we attempt here will be helpful unless that is first in place.

Once you are sure that the data plan is correct and the device is properly registered on the carriers network (make/receive calls, etc.), then you should register the Host Routing Table:

• Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BBKey (it does not matter which line is highlighted) > Register Now

Next, you should resend the service books:

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

With that, the BB should be fully configured for all of the available services. If not, then that original "Application error" may be an issue...there are many app error codes, and the precise code would tell us more...lacking that, we must guess (and be warned...we may guess wrongly).

If things are not working, then a device OS reload will be in order. If the device presently has all of the data she needs (contact, SMS, etc.), then a full backup should be run to make sure that you have that:

• KB12487 How to back up the data on a BlackBerry smartphone

Next, the device OS reload:

• KB11320 How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using the Application Loader tool

Followed by the restore (from that earlier backup:

• KB10339 How to restore data from a backup file to the BlackBerry smartphone

I'm sorry, but I cannot stress enough that it is highly likely that some data on her device will be lost...if that Application Error deleted any data and a backup had not been run before that, then that data is gone for good...no recovery.

Lastly, for any 3rd party apps that are gone...there's nothing we can help with to remember those...you and she will have to remember what they were and re-acquire them.

Good luck and let us know!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 09-10-2009 09:56 AM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ligayadiwata

[ Edited ]

Hi! Thanks for the speedy email guys. :smileyhappy:

@ JSanders: She was using the BlackBerry email folders. Also I've looked through Options > Status > Menu key > Database Sizes, and you're right, there were sizes and quantities listed for both SMS and email messages. :smileyvery-happy:

Anyway, I was able to recover the Messages icons through the help of ... well, Help. :smileyvery-happy:

Now, though, I can't find the Profile icon... It's the only thing that won't show up even after I set the main menu to Show All (which helped recover the icons for the messages)... >_>0 

What's worse, I've just discovered that all of the media that used to be stored here, even the Ring Tones, have all disappeared. When I open the Media folder, it just has the perpetual "Scanning" alert bar at the bottom and then when I checked all the subfolders, there were no music, no tones and no pictures. 

What do you think guys?

Message Edited by ligayadiwata on 09-12-2009 06:52 AM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jay1
My Carrier: mtn ng

Hi all, could some kindly give me directions on how to rectify this prob? Ok, I recently downgraded my CURVE 8520 from OS5 to OS4 , now everytime I receive an SMS, it appears without the display name regardless of the fact that the Name and Number already exists in my contacts. The proper thing should be an sms apearing with the senders name , so long as that name is already stored as one of ur contacts, and if the contact doesn't already exist in ur phone, it should apear without ur country code. Pls if someone has experienced a similar problem or has a solution to this, kindly holla @ me. Thanks
Please use plain text.