Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
d0uble0h
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Application memory suddenly low

When I hold the menu key, the apps that come up are home, phone, browser, messaging, BBM and Windows Live Messenger. WLM is the only one that always comes up as I keep myself signed in at all time.

Looking at the CPU usage, if I just let the phone sit for a few seconds, it drops to 5% or less.

I'll leave the phone alone for the next few days. The phone has been fine since Saturday, and I'm already getting into the habit of clearing any old data that might be taking up space.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi d)uble0h!

That's good news, it sounds like your hard work is paying off!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
amianwar
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: n/a

Hi. I've the same problem but worse. My bb 9800 application memory is as low as 0.0KB. It froze all day long. I tried the battery pull billions of times, deleted most of apps even the windows live messenger, yahoo messenger, facebook, deleted languages I don't use..but it only got my apps memory to 3MB. What's wrong???
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

amianwar wrote:
Hi. I've the same problem but worse. My bb 9800 application memory is as low as 0.0KB. It froze all day long. I tried the battery pull billions of times, deleted most of apps even the windows live messenger, yahoo messenger, facebook, deleted languages I don't use..but it only got my apps memory to 3MB. What's wrong???

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Likely, nothing is wrong. Or you may have a memory leaking app. Or you may have so many apps and so much data that all of the AppMemory is being consumed. Here are some resources for you to check (hopefully this is not redundant to what is already posted above in this old thread):

• KB02843What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14213Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone

It is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press blackberry_logo.jpg and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Another thing to try:

Rather than removing from your OS, reload from scratch, but in this slow and careful manner...you may perhaps be able to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
amianwar

I don't have many apps as I'm not a type of person who uses many apps. My apps are only standard + screen shot and a news portal launcher.
However, in the application manager, I found an app named "UNKNOWN", the publisher s Research In Motion (RIM?) It says that it's a voice dialing application.. What is that? I'm pretty curious as all other seem normal except that. Btw, I just checked that my app memory's now down to 600KB. Any suggestion?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Yes...those I already provided above. Diagnosing an existing Memory condition is very difficult indeed. The "bare bones" slow reloading process is one that can be quite useful to determining problems such as this.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
amianwar

I gave up with my Torch 9800 because nothing helped it and bought a brand new Torch 9860.

However, this brand new bb that I just got 3 days ago is now experiencing the same thing. It starts to be very slow and I just checked the application memory...and voila! it's 0.0KB!!!!!!!!

What is happening????  It's a brand new phone and don't even install screen capture and stuff into it. It only has standard apps that came with it.

Could it be that I am hacked??? I have a really nosy boyfriend, could he be hacking into my bb?? how do I know if I am hacked??

The "Application Management" of my BB looks like this:

MEMORY (now):

-System: 329.6 MB

-Applications: 30.0 MB

-Free: 408.3 MB

APPLICATION STORAGE

-System: 283.8 MB

-Applications: 72.8 MB

-Other: 68.6 MB*

-Free: 118.6 MB**

Well..that looks ok..however, the "Free**" was 0.0KB and the "Other*" was taking it all.

Man, this is confusing. What is this "Other"? And how do I know if I am being hacked?

Thank you soo soo much.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello,

I know of no validated cases of viruses or "hacking" of a BB...none...but it's possible that, if you leave your BB unattended not protected by a password lock, that someone could install something onto it that causes issues. That would be a human-controlled security issue, however.

I am also confused by your readings...they look fine, those that you provided details for. But, the two cases where you state zero, you provide little detail as to exactly how you are finding those readings, so I cannot compare to anything.

Also, when you provide readings such as these, please provide the exact step by step commands, starting from the homescreen, that you use to obtain the readings. There are several ways to obtain readings, and knowing exactly how you are obtaining yours will be most helpful indeed.

Again, that "bare bones" OS install and slow add of optional apps is the best way to narrow down the root cause. Anything else is mere guesswork, which is difficult enough at an internet-distance.

Thanks and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.