Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
d0uble0h
My Device: Bold 9700

Application memory suddenly low

I've only had my Blackberry since mid-December, and have very few apps, but phone says my application storage is either extremely low or has no space left. My phone will run quite slow at times, and I have already had to do a battery pull a handful of times because my phone froze. I am running OS6, having updated almost as soon as I got the phone. Are there any known memory issues for the 9700, either while running OS6 or in general?

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Application memory suddenly low

It's not unusual for a phone to run slower than usual after an OS update.  After all, you just put a new brain in your phone and your apps have to play catch up with it.

You're doing regular battery pulls, which is good; keep that up.  This problem sometimes rectifies itself after a few days.

As for the application showing to be quite low, I'm not sure what to say about that.  :smileysad:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
d0uble0h

I actually updated the OS back in December, but the memory storage and speed issues have only appeared recently (within past 2 weeks). I've tried more of the common space saving tips, but those don't seem to do much if they do anything.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi d0uble0h and welcome to the forums!

Can you give us send specific numbers on your application memory?

Do a battery pull and after the device reboots completely.

On your 9700 note the information in  Options > Device > Device and Status Information> 

Now when your device starts to lag check the numbers again and post back both sets.

Try to look for patterns of when the low memory conditions occur.

Can you list your third party apps? Do you have a media card for storing all media and documents?

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB02843What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone

KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone

KB14213Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Super Contributor
jm312
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

d0uble0h

Could you also let us know what version of os6 are you running. This is because the low application memory was major issue in the first bunch of leaks. It is an issue now but a little less. The latest official is 6.0 Bundle 1879 v6.0.0.448.

You can download it here. http://www.vodafone.de/business/blackberry-support/blackberry-bold-9700.html

Hope this helps.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
New Contributor
d0uble0h

I updated to Bundle 1879 v6.0.0.448 on Saturday night and that seemed to fix the problem. My application memory jumped back up to around 60 MB. However, since then, my memory space has been slowly dropping again. It is down to about 45 MB. I don't have many apps, and I deleted all music and videos (although the only ones I had were those that came with the phone).

@Bifocals

I did a battery pull to see how my phone responds. The application memory is back at 60 MB. CPU usage is generally 25% or lower. The third-party apps I have are Canucks, NHL GameCenter and WhatsApp. RIM apps I have are BBM, Facebook, Twitter and Windows Live Messenger.

The memory issues seems to have subsided for now, but I'll post back in a few days to see if the memory disappears over time with minimal usage.

Super Contributor
jm312

Try installing this app, its a good one as it recovers some memory. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/27063

Also, battery pulls will help keep your memory up. You can do a soft reset by pressing and holding the following keys: left alt + right shift (aA) + del.

Hope this helps.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Guru I
Bifocals

"@Bifocals

I did a battery pull to see how my phone responds. The application memory is back at 60 MB. CPU usage is generally 25% or lower. The third-party apps I have are Canucks, NHL GameCenter and WhatsApp. RIM apps I have are BBM, Facebook, Twitter and Windows Live Messenger.

The memory issues seems to have subsided for now, but I'll post back in a few days to see if the memory disappears over time with minimal usage."

Hi dOubleOh!

Sounds like you have done a great job so far!

It looks like the majority of your apps are running real-time Make sure you check each and try to select the best settings for when they refresh and what methods they use for saving data.

I would like to suggest to both you and JM312 that we leave the device a week to "settle out" in a stable environment. I'm sure JM312 suggested a great app. I would like to see if we have a stable device before adding anything else.

Let me know what both of you think.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Super Contributor
jm312

@dOubleOh!

“@Bifocals
I did a battery pull to see how my phone responds. The application memory is back at 60 MB. CPU usage is generally 25% or lower. The third-party apps I have are Canucks, NHL GameCenter and WhatsApp. RIM apps I have are BBM, Facebook, Twitter and Windows Live Messenger.”

As Bifocals pointed out, your CPU usage should drop to 0% being stable if you just look at the realtime graph. That's what happens to me.

The trick is using the apps when needed and closing them when not needed. This saves CPU usage, memory and battery. I have around 10mb of memory left after having around 25 apps. But I close them after using. This is what you do:

Press and hold the Menu/Action Key until the Switch application popup appears. There should be only 5 apps if you aren't using anything else. These are: Browser, BBM, Messaging, Phone, Home. If there is anything else, select it to open it, click the menu/action key again to open the menu and choose close. This should close down the app saving you memory and cpu usage. Please give feedback on this.

Guru I
Bifocals

jm312 wrote:
@dOubleOh!

“@Bifocals
I did a battery pull to see how my phone responds. The application memory is back at 60 MB. CPU usage is generally 25% or lower. The third-party apps I have are Canucks, NHL GameCenter and WhatsApp. RIM apps I have are BBM, Facebook, Twitter and Windows Live Messenger.”

As Bifocals pointed out, your CPU usage should drop to 0% being stable if you just look at the realtime graph. That's what happens to me.

The trick is using the apps when needed and closing them when not needed. This saves CPU usage, memory and battery. I have around 10mb of memory left after having around 25 apps. But I close them after using. This is what you do:

Press and hold the Menu/Action Key until the Switch application popup appears. There should be only 5 apps if you aren't using anything else. These are: Browser, BBM, Messaging, Phone, Home. If there is anything else, select it to open it, click the menu/action key again to open the menu and choose close. This should close down the app saving you memory and cpu usage. Please give feedback on this.

JM312Excellent point on how to conserve memory and battery. After almost 3 years on the

forum, I would say half of the memory, slow devices, etc. Are as a direct result of leaving apps open. Like you I make sure I close apps properly and maintain a good balance of apps

0uleOh will not be able to close the ones he mentioned " WhatsApp. RIM apps I have are BBM, Facebook, Twitter and Windows Live Messenger" all messaging programs. He can tailor them, and using your tips I think he'll do well

I have a Storm2 with QucikLaunch and over time I got into a routine that really works for me. Twice a day I clear the browser cache, delete call logs, delete the event log then finish with the memory cleaner. The memory cleaner is designed more for security erasures the only part I like is it does start a "junk" memory collection routine on the device. I can do the functions in under a minute and then I do a battery pull.(yes I have quickpull but I guess I'm old school!) Of course once I reboot like everyone I have 20 minutes to kill, comes in handy when you're an old guy like me :smileywink: