Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
shafatsiddiqui
My Device: 9700

BB 9700 - IM not working via WIFI connection

My BB9700 is not getting connected to IM such as GTalk, YMsgr, Facebook via WIFI..

I do know that it requires BIS services but how come Internet websites are getting connected thru browser via same wifi....

Can somebody help me

Regards

Shafat

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: BB 9700 - IM not working via WIFI connection

Internet websites don't push updates to your phone using BIS like those services you mentioned do.

I hope that helps you. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shafatsiddiqui

No it has not helped me....

pls extend support ... when only WIFI connection is ON rest are not active than IM like Yahoo, Gtalk doesnt work.. when u try it gives msg " Data Service Not Available". whereas internet works properly and I can browse.

hope yopu understand my problem.

Regards

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shafatsiddiqui

Dear,

No it has not helped me....

pls extend support ... when only WIFI connection is ON rest are not active than IM like Yahoo, Gtalk doesnt work.. when u try it gives msg " Data Service Not Available". whereas internet works properly and I can browse.

hope yopu understand my problem.

Regards

Please use plain text.
hqymqyym125
My Device: Bold 9700

im havin the same problem as urs.. pls somebody

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

[ Edited ]

When you browse websites via Wi-Fi, you're asking the website to see what it has to offer.  What is on the site when you visit it is what you'll see in your browser.

When you use IM clients such as facebook chat, google talk, etc., you're asking those services to update you every time someone adds a response to your message.  In other words, you're asking those services to "push" the messages to your phone.  That push technology requires BIS whereas just visiting websites does not require anything to be pushed to your phone.

Make sure when you browse by any means that you have Data Services set to ON.  It can be found under Manage Connections.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
waelgasar
My Device: bold 9700

I had the same problem before on 9700, and when I left the data services on it worked as @BillJ mentioned.
Please use plain text.