Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Visitor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: BT

BB 9900 Japanese input?

Hello,

Does anyone know a way of getting my BB 9900 to accept Japanese as an input language?  I have a list on the phone already but not Japanese.  I have previously managed to download something on an old BB 8900 - that worked fine - but not managed with the BB 9900.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

New Contributor
My Carrier: M1

Re: BB 9900 Japanese input?

Hi all, i need help in this as well. With my old curve, i managed to use the DM to install japanese input to the BB. But with my new 9900, the new DM is different and does not have any option for language input. :smileysad: Any help here will be much appreciated.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Orange

Japanese input on 9900After many trials, I managed to install Japanese language on my France-bought Blackberry 9900 as follows:

1)     Go to the RIM download site:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2)     Select the SK Telecom site in Asia/Pacific region

3)     Select downloads for the 9900

4)     Download the following Asia language file:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.0.0.1672 (Asia)

The complete filename is:

9900jAsia_PBr7.0.0_rel1672_PL5.0.0.544_A7.0.0.353_SK_Telecom.exe

5)     Once download is complete, double-click the file on your computer, and follow the installation process.

6)     Once installation is completed, go to the RIM folder on your computer, and delete the Vendor.xml file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor.xml

7)     Then proceed to installation with the short-version uploader:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

8)     You should see Japanese in the input options. Click the desired options and follow the complete installation procedure (about 30 minutes).

This version of the SKTelecom software seems to be a bit older, but it works! You will be prompted regularly to update to a newer version of the Device Software, but normally it will eliminate your Japanese input option, so just stick with it!

New Contributor
My Carrier: M1

Thank you very much... This works fine on my BB now. :smileyhappy:
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Taiwan Mobile

I discovered that if you connect it to BB Desktop Software, and click Applications, Japanese is listed under "East Asian Language and Input Support", at least on Taiwan Mobile (where it's not initially available).

New Contributor
My Carrier: Tim

I did everything you said, but i can't find the voice Japanese on the AppLoader!

My Carrier: Starhub Singapore

Hi PhilWarrior,

Thanks for the post. I have a question:

1) When I access to SK Telocom by following your link, it only has Korean languange and I have a problem as I don't understand it. Is that what you have done too, or do you have any idea if this has English site?

2) Do I need to have Blackberry desktop manager installed in my PC first? I see your blackberry devise is connected with cable so am guessing it is connected with computer. Hence the question.

Many thanks in advance. Much appreciated!

New Contributor

1) Yes, the SKTelecom site is in Korean (I can't read Korean either), but the questionnaire page to access the downloads is exactly the same as the questionnaire page on the other download sites in English. Just go to a download site in English, note where to check "Yes" or "No", and just fill in the Korean questionnaire accordingly.

2) Yes, you absolutely need to have the Blackberry desktop manager installed.

Good luck!

PhilWarrior

New Contributor

GOOD NEWS!!! GOOD NEWS!!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Instead of SK TELECOM (which was in Korean), you can now download the All Language file (including Japanese input and Chinese input), from DOCOMO (Japan), in the English language. Just select DOCOMO (Japan) on the RIM download site:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp and follow the same process as described above. At one point in the installation you will probably be warned that you will be downgrading your system a bit, as the DOCOMO software is not quite the newest, but it is a low price to pay. Cheers. PhilWarrior.

Visitor
My Carrier: Rogers Canada

Hi I'm in Toronto Canada and was really happy a month ago when the latest update gave me Japanese as a choice in language input, even has Japanese mode for all displays and commands.BUT when I type out a Japanese email and send it, altho' it looks fine on the phone as a sent message the recepient sees mojibake, just a bunch of ????

I know in PC mail, this happens with improper character encoding...for Thunderbird I use ISO Jpns font. Now on the 9900, there are two Japanese fonts, BB Japanese and BB Japanese gothic. I chose these in my email, but again, after sending, the recipient sees mojibake...

Any thoughts? thanks