Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

BB 9900: unable to play music via USB in a nice manner (car stereo, BMW)

Hello,

I have a BMW with a USB connection in the middle armrest. I used to connect my Torch 9800 and then it used to prompt for [mass storage / media sync / charge only]. After choosing "media sync" it worked perfectly fine: I could leave the BB inside the armrest and control everything on my car stereo.

One week ago I started using the Bold 9900 and it doesn't work like that anymore. I am still being prompted to choose one of those 3 options and then enter my password. But after I do so, the "media sync" option doesn't give any result. The car stereo says that there is "no USB device connected" whereas in fact it is.

Only option remaining is to choose "mass storage". But that gives me a crappy interface on the car stereo's display. I have to dig deep into the BB or media card's folder structure. With the 9800 and "media sync" I could always just search by artist, title or playlist (like I configured in iTunes).

Does anyone know why this is not working on the new BB 9900 and it is on the 1-year old 9800?
BTW I tried both saving my music on the memory card and on the device itself.

Thanks in advance!

New Contributor

Re: BB 9900: unable to play music via USB in a nice manner (car stereo, BMW)

One week and still not a single suggestion from RIM staff?

If it stays like this, I don't think I am going to sell this device...

Super Contributor

I think you need BlackBerry Bridge...
Super Contributor

Sorry, I meant blackberry stereo gateway bluetooth. This way you connect the gateway through aux to wherever you wanna play music, and your bb to the gateway with bluetooth.

I don't know why the made it like this, but looks like that's the way it is...
New Contributor

Thanks for your input but that really isn't the kind of solution I am looking for. My Torch 9800 (BB6) still works perfectly fine using just a USB cable and now I am trying the same thing with a Torch 9810 (BB7 like Bold 9900) and experiencing exactly the same problem as with the 9900.

What a pity! I will keep using my all-time favourite 9800.

Only reason I cannot be really upset with RIM is that other manufacturers' stuff tends to work not at all using just a USB cable (I tried Apple, who try to sell you the € 50 "Y-cable" and Android, which just doesn't do anything but charge when you connect it).

Cheers!

P.S. RIM, please take car connectivity through USB into account for the design of any new versions of OS.