If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
salamane
My Device: blackberry bold 9900
My Carrier: vodaphone

BB 9990 OS not working correctly and device not detected by PC

Dear All;

I am getting sick of this terrible OS blackberry. my BB9900 is not uploading the OS correctely and is not even detectect by the desktop software. some I am turning around for two days with my high blood pressure.

I am following the steps described in  http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB10144&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

about 

How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader.

but without success.

I have two major issues: 

1. the BB9900 is not detected correctly by the  Desktop manager software.

2. the BB9900 OS start till 75% and stay stuck at this stage.

Thanks for help

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB 9990 OS not working correctly and device not detected by PC

Hello,

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5a) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Hi and Welcome to the Community!

5b)  Alternatively, from a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
salamane

Hi Sdgardne;

thanks for you help.

Actually, I followed the steps you describe in your previous email. The first procedure.

when I launched the Desktop Software and connect the BB, it bring a window saying BB desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device. I had thres options : retry, update cancel. so click on retry many times nothing happen (in the same time the BB os start loading but it frozen around 75% and stay there looping). Then I click on update, so the software start loking for upadets then a windows comes asking me if I want to get update i click on it to update to 7.1 Bundle 2061, then another window comes to ask to install , I click on it, then another windows says existing software hase been detected on your computer and must be closed before proceding. click Ok or cancel, I clicked OK and the first window appears to say BB desktop cannot communicate with the connected device. I have repeat this for more than 7 times and same thing. I will try the next procedure you suggest and get back to you. Thanks. I think all I need is a procedure to force the system to wipe every thing in my BB and install new one as the OS is starting every time I turn on th BB and freeze in 75%

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

salamane wrote:
Then I click on update, so the software start loking for upadets then a windows comes asking me if I want to get update i click on it to update to 7.1 Bundle 2061,

Done properly, steps 3 and 4 of what I provided should prevent that from happening. What you state means that the "automatic" process is kicking in, and searching the Internet for candidate OS packages for your BB. Done properly, steps 3 and 4 will override that automatic process and force it to use the OS package you installed to your PC.

salamane wrote:
then another window comes to ask to install , I click on it, then another windows says existing software hase been detected on your computer and must be closed before proceding.

Or, you may have two OS packages installed to your PC, which can create this conflict. Hence, step 1 in what I provided above.

Further, I provided above other tricks to try and get around things...BBSAK should be able to wipe your device, and prepare it to accept your chosen OS package.

I'd suggest you try again, and be very diligent and careful. You might, in addition to removing all BB OS packages from your PC, also remove and reinstall the Desktop Software itself. You can find instructions in this thread:

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
salamane

Hi 

before doing i have desintalled everything and reinstall Desktop sofatware manager again and removed all the residual components.

As you suggest I think I need to wipe my BB before trying to install any thing.

So I am refering to one of your previous post related to

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

I am in step 6, let see what happen next.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I'm sorry to be picky, but I have only your words to guide me...

salamane wrote:

before doing i have desintalled everything and reinstall Desktop sofatware manager again and removed all the residual components.

As written, that leaves out steps 3 and 4...which are the steps necessary to override the "automatic" process.

salamane wrote:

As you suggest I think I need to wipe my BB before trying to install any thing.

Sometimes that is indeed necessary.

salamane wrote:

So I am refering to one of your previous post related to

3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery

I am in step 6, let see what happen next.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
salamane

4 hours and 15 minutes are gone and my BB still with OS Frozen in 75% . so this steps bellow were not helpful for me:

3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery

I also tryied to enter to the safe mode without success using the ESC key.

I am looking now to security wipe after this I can't see that my BB will be any useful.

I m really desperate and I think BlackBerry failed in developing a sofisticated system such as Android.

because these issues are only in BB .

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I don't know what else to provide you beyond what is already in this thread. From what I can tell, you have yet to try ALL that is provided.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
salamane

I have tried this link

http://uk.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/update/blackberry7-os.html

related to 

How to recover a BlackBerry smartphone from any state

all the steps goes smooth till the final window said the updates were successfull, you can now disconnect you device.

I was so excited . but after reboot the BB OS stuck again in the 75% :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

And hence the reason I suggested the process I provided above. That website (as well as the Desktop Software, when a BBOS package is not also installed to the PC) uses the "automatic" method of attempting to update your BBOS. The method I gave you bypasses the automatic methods, and allows you to take control of the specific OS that will load to your BB. I further provided a technique to try and figure out exactly what is the cause (the "bare bones" process). For any references that suggest the update website, I recommend substituting the Desktop Software and OS package installation to your PC, and taking total control.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.