Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
ptraugott
My Device: BOLD 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

BB Bold 9780 accesses Internet abroad w/o my consent!

[ Edited ]

I am an experienced BlackBerry user (now with the Bold 9780) and have been with T-Mobile since 2005. I know very well through costly experience about the various ways in which I can be charged for usage abroad. I regularly travel to Europe and Japan and have discovered over the years to initiate the “BB International E-Mail Roaming” package at $19.99 per 30 days (a good deal), as I only use my BB for emailing, and I DO NOT access the Internet as I know it is prohibitively expensive.

The problem is that in the Data Service Roaming Charges section of the T-Mobile statement I regularly get these $0.37 charges for Internet Access when I travel, and they add up to real money, i.e. $40, 50 and $60 per month when I travel. If I did access the Internet, it might have been once or twice at most, but not 80 times. I DO NOT consciously use the Internet.

In October, I contacted T-Mobile executive customer care and tech support who carefully went through any Apps on my BlackBerry phone that could potentially be automatically contacting the Internet, but found nothing (it’s not Facebook, Twitter etc as I don’t even have accounts…) Nevertheless as a test I turned off my T-Mobile automatic contact update function. We agreed then to re-examine the issue after subsequent trips of mine to Europe. The problem is not resolved.

Previous BB devices did not do this…

T-Mobile Customer service now only says it’s “something in the background” that is automatically accessing the Internet, but refuse to say or claim not to know what software it is. It does makes them a lot of money. This is a proprietary software that T-Mobile has installed on their devices.

Does anyone know what could be operating in the background to constantly contact the Internet?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: BB Bold 9780 accesses Internet abroad w/o my consent!

in the application management, you can for each application define the permissions, for instance access the internet.
You can block every app if you want, including T-Mobile's.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ptraugott
My Device: BOLD 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thank you indeed for your suggestion. T-Mobile couldn't figure that out. We'll see if it positively impacts my bill. Cheers, PT

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

okay. Please give us some feedback when you receive your next bill.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.