Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
maxmap
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: non

Re: BB Bold 9790 keeps rebooting

Im Having the same thing with a brand new phone, and narrowed it down to 3G, if i only use 2G EDGE it works fine,

but if i leave it on 3G signal will drop once i meake a call and phone will reboot afterwards.

i've tried to wipe and update OS, different battery, used it without the momery as well but no changes.

changes its a physical problem i guess.

i love the phone so much that i dont want to change it, but cant be used this way eaither.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
feanad
My Carrier: Glo

BB Bold 9790 keeps rebooting

Hi,

I've been having this rebooting issue with my BB for a while now and have done virtually everything advised. Wiped clean and reinstall countless times. It is very frustrating. Anyway I can send it back or something?

Please use plain text.
prithvvi
My Carrier: Vodafone IN

I have the same problem with my bold 9790. Phone shuts down 7-8 times a day. I have to pull my battery out and put it back in for it to restart, sometimes even this does not work and I have to pull battery out, put the charger on to start the phone and then put battery back in. This is a serious issue and I havnt seen such a thing in the cheapest of phones.
Really you can't call this a business phone! RIM help!! (P.s I have reloaded the software at least 5 times for the same!)
Please use plain text.
btutunji
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: 4163030575

I am suffering from the same problem I have a BB Bold 9790 using it for 14 months, the past two months keeps on rebooting, after further Google search the problem is solved with a simple solution. Stuff a piece of paper between the battery and the case so it's tight enough for the battery not to move. 

This is a manufacturing or a design problem from BB, it should be replaced for free for all BB Bold users. If BB doesn't take responsibility soon I switching to iPhone, just like my wife, son and daughter did six months ago. I am the lonely BB user at home.

Can we have an official BB response to admit the problem

Please use plain text.
vickymakhija
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone India

Hi!

My Blackberry 9790 keeps rebooting. I had formatted 1 time, but again it started rebooting.

Is it a Hardware or Software issue?

Can someone help please.

Awaiting your reply asap.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

vickymakhija wrote:

Hi!

My Blackberry 9790 keeps rebooting. I had formatted 1 time, but again it started rebooting.

Is it a Hardware or Software issue?

Can someone help please.

Awaiting your reply asap.

Thank you.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Since, on a BB, there is no such thing as "format" (except for as related to Device and Media Card Memory spaces), we'll have to guess that perhaps you did an OS reload instead. As such, you may need to do more drastic things.

Please refer to this official download portal as you proceed. It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. After installing the OS package to your PC, please remeber to delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Please understand carefully that, at an internet distance, it's impossible to actually diagnose your situation, especially if the problem truly is hardware. All we can do is give you various things to try, ruling in/out different causes one by one. But, if the problem indeed is hardware, then no amount of internet-distance diagnosis nor OS/Software related "fixes" will be of any use. Only in-hand evaluation by a qualified technician can give you a proper diagnosis and estimate if indeed the issue is hardware. So, you may instead elect (before even trying any of the above) to seek out a local (to you) shop with such a qualified technician. If you remain in warranty, then you can seek formal support under those terms.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
arsalans
My Carrier: Orange UK

I feel as if Blackberry does not care about such issues. I have been using it for a last couple of years but not sure if I will upgrade or stay with it. Looking at Samsung or Windows phones with the hope that their products are better, with less issues and better customer service!!!

Please use plain text.
imhotev
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Telkomsel

I have the same problem, tried with putting small piece of paper, under the battery and it works only for few weeks, and the problem occured again, so I thought it's kind of mechanical problem, I opened my 9790 and tried to fix the battery connector, I think it made from soft material, so it bend to easy, it works for almost a day now, before that, it  randomly reboot almost every hour

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
manishkumarjain
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hello All - 

I am having the same issues. Just got the phone a couple of weeks ago and have had the following issues so far:

• Call will disconnect in the middle of the call and will get the call failed error.
  • Sometimes on dialling any number it will say dialling and after a few second just go to the normal dialled list screen.
  • While in a call many a times the call will be put on hold, most probably its due to the fact that the proximity sensor is not working properly and the hold button gets pressed somehow.
  • Yesterday it not only got disconnected twice in the middle of the call but also rebooted itself.
  • When ever i access BBM or whatsapp - it reboots
  • When i click a picture using camera with a flash - it reboots.

PLEASE HELP 

regards,
Manish Kumar Jain
Please use plain text.
Corban143
My Carrier: FNB

Hi There 

Please can someone assist me, my 9790 keeps rebooting, i have tried cleaning it up, but just before system update my phone reboots, It only works if it is on charge all the time

Please use plain text.