Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
DanniD
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Vodafone

BB Bold 9900 battery/software problem

I was charging my BB Bold 9900 the other night, when I went to go to bed I noticed that the screen had gone black. I managed to turn it on and what came up was an empty battery with a red cross through it. I've been searching online and from what I can tell, many people have had many different solutions to this problem. I thought I had fixed it when I downloaded BB Desktop Manager onto my Mac and updated the software, which seemed to work. Then I made the mistake of taking my battery out to re-insert my media card and it reverted back to the battery sign. Since then, all I've been getting is a mix between the empty battery and Error 507. But when I go to reload the software, all my Mac says is that it couldn't be done and that my BB had been disconnected and I can't get any further than that.

At the advice from someone at Telstra, I'm going in to see if a battery replacement will fix the problem but because there has been apparent water damage (red stripe on battery - I can assure you my BB has never met water), I can't get a replacement or even have it repaired.

If I have to get a new phone, that's ok I guess but I'm worried that any contacts or passwords that I had saved onto my BB have been wiped. I'm an **bleep** for not backing these up, I know, but is there anyone I can go to to see if they can restore my data? Or because I had updated the software, does that mean that everything has been wiped??

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB Bold 9900 battery/software problem

First, some good news:  BlackBerry Desktop Software automatically backs up your data when you update your OS so if you look around, you should find a backup file with your data.

As for the red battery with the line through it, that means that your battery is depleted.  If you plug your phone in and still see that line, your battery is not receiving a charge from your cord.  It might be the cord that's defective and not the battery.

I know nothing about using a Mac, but this following article applies to BlackBerry Desktop Software on a PC.  I assume it would be exactly the same for your Mac so it's probably worth looking at.  It's what to do when your phone cannot connect to BDS:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144

Have a look and let us know if that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DanniD

Thanks for replying(: I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was change cords and power outlets and nothing worked. The bad news is, I'm looking at my desktop manager and it's telling me that my BB has never been synced and never backed up): But my software is the latest, I think - 7.1 Bundle 1424. I have to run to work but I'll check out your link a little later.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

That's odd.  Make sure you click Device at the top of the software then Restore.  Your backup file should be there.

Get back to us when you can.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DanniD

I don't know if this will help any but whenever I plug it in it comes up with a box that says,

"The Blackberry Desktop Software cannot connect with this device

If this device is rebooting or has a dead battery, click Retry to attempt to reconnect once the device reboots.

If clicking Retry doesn't connect the device, or the device isn't rebooting with a charged battery, you might need to repair your software to correct the problem.

You can also click Cancel to stop trying to connect your device with the BlackBerry Desktop Software. To try again, you'll need to disconnect and reconnect your device with your USB cable."

I click repair everytime and then it comes up with "There is no Blackberry Desktop Software installed on the Blackberry device." So I opt to install BlackBerry 7.1 (Downgrade - Recommended). Then following that, after a moment, everytime now I get "Blackberry Desktop Software failed to install your device software. The device was disconnected. Reconnect your device and try again."

So, in a nutshell, it keeps telling me that I need to reload the software but will not let me do it):

I'm trying to embed a screenshot of my desktop manager but I'm not sure how.

Please use plain text.
waqasmoiz
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: KPN

BB Bold 9900 software problem

Hey Friends...

I have been a BB user since 8 years now, have used almost every model since before Bold 9900 but stuck to it cause i loved it. But my BB has been crashing alot since lately... Now the problem im facing is that my Bold 9900 got stuck one day and never opened again... it suddenly restarted and once the software loads upto 70percent, it gets stuck n doesnt go further, i tried updating the device software to older version, did all that process of removing desktop software, trying to update device software, trying to change it to older version etc etc etc, but still it goes to 70% n gets stuck, nuthing happens further on... Any ideas guys wat shall i do apart from hitting my BB against the wall as hard as i can?

im so fed up with this issue and have tried everthing, pls help me out someone...

Thanx...

Vicky

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Bold 9900 software problem

waqasmoiz wrote:

Hey Friends...

I have been a BB user since 8 years now, have used almost every model since before Bold 9900 but stuck to it cause i loved it. But my BB has been crashing alot since lately... Now the problem im facing is that my Bold 9900 got stuck one day and never opened again... it suddenly restarted and once the software loads upto 70percent, it gets stuck n doesnt go further, i tried updating the device software to older version, did all that process of removing desktop software, trying to update device software, trying to change it to older version etc etc etc, but still it goes to 70% n gets stuck, nuthing happens further on... Any ideas guys wat shall i do apart from hitting my BB against the wall as hard as i can?

im so fed up with this issue and have tried everthing, pls help me out someone...

Thanx...

Vicky

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vickyjazz
My Device: bold 2 9700
My Carrier: Ufone

Hellooo

Thanx for ur mssg and all that u had wrote.

I tried everything which u had mentioned, tried all 3 procedures but no luck...

The problem still persists... no matter what i do, my BB9900 starts and after it reaches 70% of the loading, it just hangs and doesnt go further... i tried the nuke procedures, the escape button procudere and the software update procedure aswel, but none of it helped... no matter wat i do it just hangs after it reaches 70%loading and just stays thr...

Please tell me now what to do, im quite helpless with this issue right now... Waiting for your earliest reply with thanx...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

vickyjazz wrote:

Hellooo

Thanx for ur mssg and all that u had wrote.

I tried everything which u had mentioned, tried all 3 procedures but no luck...

The problem still persists... no matter what i do, my BB9900 starts and after it reaches 70% of the loading, it just hangs and doesnt go further... i tried the nuke procedures, the escape button procudere and the software update procedure aswel, but none of it helped... no matter wat i do it just hangs after it reaches 70%loading and just stays thr...

Please tell me now what to do, im quite helpless with this issue right now... Waiting for your earliest reply with thanx...

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.