Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Hanekor
My Device: Bold 9700

BB Bold 9900 has no camera auto focus

My new BB Bold 9900 does not have an auto focus for the camera, although under Help it does mention that it should be there. How can this be fixed?
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: BB Bold 9900 has no camera auto focus

Hi Hanekor

The BlackBerry Bold 9900 has an always in focus  camera also known as EDOFor Extended Depth of Field .It allow you to take good quality Images quickly.

Prince

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor
Hanekor

Thx! I'm struggling however to take good quality photo's as the camera does not seem to focus. My previous Bold 9700 took much better pictures with only 3.2MP! Any other suggestions?
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Hi Hanekor

Sorry but I don't have any other suggestion,Many users liked 9900 Camera which has 5 MP with Al\ways in focus lenses  but some user don't. Try taking some more images on an open area or use the video recording function and see how it goes.I am sure you goning to like it .

Prince

New Contributor
Wammy
My Device: 7130

I agree Hanekor.  I went from a 9700 to a 9900 and I'm struggling with the camera as well.  I find that anything within about 2 feet of the lense is always out of focus.

I've heard some are taking a picture further away, and using the digital zoom as a work around.

Work around is term used for devices that didn't get it right the first time.  Sadly I'm disappointed by the "always in focus" camera in this unit.

Oddly enough, since I'm taking pictures of objects close up, it's "rarely in focus".

I know there will be people which will claim that I'm asking too much from a "phone" and that I should use a camera for pictures, but the devices at the other company with the fruit on it do a very good job of taking pictures.  Just sayin.

Contributor
Hanekor

Incidentally I also "upgraded" from a 9700 to the 9900. I must admit that the 9900 does a reasonable job of distant items, but lacks severally with close ups! Hopefully RIM will rethink this part of an otherwise excellent phone!
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

if you look at the BlackBerry 7 different models, the 9900 is the only one to have its "continuous focus" feature. The other models have a classic "auto focus", so I do believe that the upcoming BB10 devices will have autofocus again.

I personally find that the continuous focus is better at taking shots fast. (either you move fast or the subject of the picture moves fast).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: