Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
BorisOV
My Device: BB9900
My Carrier: AIS

BB Bold 9900: permanent Extended Search (nmnmnm..)

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

My device do an "extended search" by itself. The letters nmnmnm... appear in the search box even when I do not touch the phone and its keep duplicating all the time. So I can't answer incoming calls and use any phone function at all.

Update to the recent device software did not help.

I found similar problem-reports from other users, but with no idea about the resolution or root of the problem.

Is it hardware related issue if SW upgrade did not help? Any suggestions, please..

Thank you in advance for any help!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Bold 9900: permanent Extended Search (nmnmnm..)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I must guess...you actually did a SW update, and that did not change the behavior? As such, it is likely then hardware...the key could be stuck...does the key physically move when you press it? Does it feel the same as keys that do not have this behavior? With the battery removed, have you tried pressing the "stuck" keys a bit harder than normal, in an attempt to dislodge whatever is stuck?

To truly diagnose a hardware issue requires your BB, in hand, by a qualified hardware technician. It may well be that something in the contacts, under the keys, is physically stuck.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BorisOV
My Device: BB9900
My Carrier: AIS

sdgardne,

There is no any sign that there is a problem with stucking of these two keys "n" and "m" - there is no any reaction in case of pressing them during such stuck, even harder than normal (same as pressing other buttons). And both of these keys physically work normal and pressed in the same way as others.

Moreover, I noticed in some forums few similar reports, where people also get exactly 'nmnmnmn' letters combination during such stuck. So I supposed the problem is not related to buttons..

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions and welcome in case you get new ideas about the problem, as the phone can not be used.  :-(

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Given that, I recommend you seek warranty evaluation and support, which you seek from your mobile service provider, authorized original place of purchase, or authorized service center.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.