Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
18pcs
My Device: BOLD 9900
My Carrier: ORANGE

Re: BB ID problem when changing sim card on bold 9900

When you travel, you may have a prepaid Sim Card for that country which needs to be refilled.  The problem is the 9900 just will not logon to the Blackberry ID unless BIS is active on the handset or Data is active, Which is a big big problem. Just yesterday I had to reinvite all my contacts who are now fedup with me changing devices so often. Next week when I go back to my home country , wipe the device again and reinvite everyone. Its really tough to do this . Please we need a software to override the BB ID sign in feature. Make it optional so that whoever doesnt travel can use it and for travellers who change Sim's often, no need to do it.

Please use plain text.
vapormike
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Fido

I love my BlackBerry and all but this feature implementation is absolutely ridiculous! People use prepaid cards overseas all the time and they need the flexibility to do so. Please fix this asap! I dont want to have to travel with 2 phones or maybe I'll just have to give up my BlackBerry. This is outrageous.... Apart from wiping the phone, are there any other way around this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
18pcs

No solution if you are on OS7. Downgrade to OS 6 and you will be Ok. I had upgraded to Torch 2 with OS7 to use as a backup phone but unfortunately had to sell it and downgrade to Torch 1 only because of this problem. Please please Blackberry give us a solution to this problem.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lsrshoot
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telstra

Same problem here. Unacceptable to have a phone that only works with one Sim... I travel a lot overseas and need to be able to change Sim and have all my data available. Please Blackberry, find a solution FAST!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tehcsman
My Carrier: Many

Are you guys sure your phones are actually unlocked? I have a Bold 9900 traveling in Nepal and it did authenticate with BB ID after installing a local sim card. I was surprised that there was BB service there (Pokhara, Nepal). 

To me, it makes perfect sense to authenticate with your BB ID if you are to change sim cards as a security measure.

My local BB account does not have a data plan, only unlimited email and IM. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
18pcs

Yes fully unlocked telephones. Just today, I wanted to use the 9900 as a telephone without email and internet access and couldnt as it kept asking for Blackberry ID and password.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tehcsman
My Carrier: Many

Ok, here is what might have worked for us. Put your local sim card, and enable wifi, and connect to an open wireless network. Then, turn off your phone and switch cards. Start your phone with the foreign sim card and try to authenticate using wifi. That might do the trick.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
18pcs

Solution found, help needed though

[ Edited ]

I wiped my 9900 and installed all applications but did not update them using APP WORLD, means did not type in the email address and password. The email address field remains blank if you dont login using your BBID and password. If you login using your email address and password, the email address gets saved and this is what causes the problem. If there can be some way of deleting the email address in the Blackberry ID login screen the SIM card problem can be solved.

With no email address in the BB ID field, I can change any sim I want as many number of times. But if I log onto APP world even once the email address is stuck to the BB ID and then it is impossible to change SIMS unless you wipe the device. So we must find a way to delete the email address from the BB ID field.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lsrshoot
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: Solution found, help needed though

18pcs - Your suggestion maybe useful as a "workaround".

I'm still puzzled though as to why we have to be dictated by BB what do we do with a piece of equipment that ( at least in my case) has been purchased outright. I fail to see why I cannot use more than one SIM in the phone as I use to be able to do previously. And I also fail to understand why, once the new SIM is inserted, even entering the right BBID and PWD this is not accepted! And I have not been able to get it accepted via WiFi connection either.

Why doesn't anyone from BB gives us an explanation and a solution to this problem being had by many?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
18pcs

If you had not locked onto App world and entered your email id and pwd in the BBID fields, then the 9900 , in my case, accepts all sims . But the minute I enter the email id and pwd and logonto app world, its over. The SIM card present at that time is accepted and locked to the phone. My phone then refuses to accespt any other SIM cards, period, until I wipe the device. Try it with your too, I am sure it will be the same case.

Please use plain text.