If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
servotech
My Device: bb9900
My Carrier: airtel

BB9900 CAMERA AUTO FOCUS IS NOT AVAILABLE

I AM USING BLACKBERRY SINCE LAST 2 YEARS & VERY HAPPY WITH THEM.

YESTERDAY I BOUGHT BB9900 WITH 5MP CAMERA BUT VERY DEPRESSED WHEN I DIDN'T FOUND AUTO FOCUS FEATURE.

WHEN I READ HELP MENU THAN ACCORDING TO THE SAME AUTO FOCUS FEATURE IS AVAILABLE BUT I DIDN'T FIND THAT FEATURE.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Coachbulldog
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BB9900 CAMERA AUTO FOCUS IS NOT AVAILABLE

According to numerous sites on the internet, both the Bold 9900 and 9930 do not have an auto focus camera. That is a travesty for what is suppose to be BlackBerry's device. Without auto focus, the camera will not be able to simple functions like take close up photos or scan bar codes. I was looking forward to getting a Bold 9930 when it came to Verizon but the more I hear about the less I like it and I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for many years.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vish2012
My Device: 9900

I was also surprised as the reviews had suggested otherwise. 

The still photo quality is really average but videography is top notch.

overall, satisfied.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rlee711
My Device: Verizon BlackBerry Tour 9630

Same for me. I will not be buying this BlackBerry. I have been using BlackBerry for over 10 years, and I'm shocked and disappointed. I guess I'll be switching to Android soon to replace my Verizon BB Tour.

Please, RIM, issue a new BlackBerry Bold WITH AUTOFOCUS, so I won't have to switch to Android!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
popwolf
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Digi

As a great fan of BlackBerry smartphones, I was so dissapointed to find out after buying the phone that there is no auo-focus function on the camera.

I have used a few BlackBerry phones from the Bold 9780 to the Torch 9800 then now changing to the 9900. At first use, the phone is great. Great build especially the metal trimmings on the side, nice screen, great new OS7 and a awesome feeling keypad.

But then my photos started turning out really blur and with further research on the net to find out that the camera lacks the auto-focus function. Is is really a big step backward for RIM.

I guess for normal photo taking, the photos come out ok and the colour saturation has improve. But I mainly use the camera function to snap photos of close-up objects and food stuff to email it out immediately. The camera is rendered useless for this function. Also without auto-focus, its impossible to copy text of documents.

I really hope RIM will come out with a new phone that has AUTO-FOCUS on it, if not I am sure they will be loosing some potential purchasers to the iPhone or Android powered phones.

Please use plain text.
rockysignguy
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

You are kidding me.....

I just puchased the Card Scanner App and the

software cannot figure out what the letters are because the

photo is so poor.

I tryed using the camera software for diffrent situations but it

don't make any changes.

This Sucks....

Please use plain text.
ghohan
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: XL

I have Blackberry Bold 8320, 9000, 9780 and Strom II 9550 Camera so far is very good quality picture.

But This new BlackBerry 9900 I BOUGHT WITH 5 MP CAMERA VERY DEPRESSED !!!!!!!!!! :smileysad:

NOT ME Only in Indonesia Depressed about this but also all of my friend where bought Bold 9900.

What about the response and compensation from the RIM to this problem?? Nothing?

I hope the upcoming RIM will not offer their fails products to the public

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
germed
My Device: 9780

this is ridicoulus from rim this camera is uselss you cant even take a pic of a business card nor barcode or a short text  also battery life is a big step back coming from a 9780 its a big stap back never ever blackberry again

rip rim

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Coachbulldog
My Device: Not Specified

I gave the Bold 9930 a chance but the poor quality camera, along with many other short comings, made the phone inadequate for me. I hated to do it because I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, but I now have an iPhone 4s. It has many advantages over the BlackBerry Bold 9930 including a far superior camera.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
belfastdispatcher
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

The 9900 scans barcodes just fine, at least with the BBM and Appworld barcodes, it seems to be using the video camera instead of just taking photos and processing them.

The lack of autofocus does make taking closeup photos more difficult, you have to hold your phone back and use the zoom to get close instead, but it's good enough to take a photo of a signature on my proof of delivery sheets.

The upside- it makes the camera A LOT faster, especially in sports mode, and it also keeps everything in focus, example

Autofocus- if I have my starbucks cup of coffee in front of me(right now:smileyhappy: ) and I take a photo of it it will focus on it and the wall behind it will appear blurry

9900 all focus- the cup of coffee and the wall will be perfectly in focus

The lack of Autofocus does bring some disadvantages but also brings advantages to the table.

Any dad that tried to take photos of a child in a swing will know the difference, 9900 will take instant photos, with autofocus you have to think ahead 1-2 seconds to be able to take the shot where you want it.
Please use plain text.