Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

BBM hacked

Hi everyone,

Recently my boyfriend and I got a short snippet of a BBM conversation we had a few days ago. I know its next to impossible to retrieve messages however, i was wondering if there could be tracking softwares that could placed on our phones that could store all our information including our chats. We both open emails and download pictures, so is it possible something can be embedded in those like in the case of computer hacking? Also, we had narrowed someone who worked at a telecomm company that we use, and I was curious if someone like that could have access.

Please let me know if you have heard of something like this before. 

I appreciate all your help.

Sid

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: BBM hacked

Hi Sid,

For something like this to happen, you would to have an app installed to your phone. You wouldn't have gotten it via pictures you viewed on your phone as you would have been prompted to install an app to your phone. But what could have happened is that someone may have gotten access to your phone and installed an app without you knowing.

To double check this, go to Options > Device > Application Management and look through the list of applications that are installed. Is there anything that looks out of the ordinary or an app that you didn't install?

One thing you can do to make sure both of your phones are completely clear is to back up your device using the Desktop Software, then perform a Security Wipe by going to Options > Security > Security Wipe and follow the instructions there to delete all device data and third party applications. Once this is complete, you can redownload the apps you want and restore your data.

A suggestion to make sure this doesn't happen again is to enable a password on your device and also require a password to install applications to your phone.

I hope this info helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Saiyyada wrote:

Recently my boyfriend and I got a short snippet of a BBM conversation we had a few days ago.

hello,

I do not understand this sentence. Can you explain it to me please?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

@ Xandrex, it means that someone sent them a copy of part of their chat from a few days ago.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

the only earth-to-earth explanation is that either the boyfriend sent out that convo, or the person had a physical access to one or the other BlackBerry phones and went to BBm and read.

or that the convos were saved by BBm on the media card, and the media card was read elsewhere.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: