Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
Karlb93
My Device: Bold 9790

BBM

I have two blackberrys but one is not working properly at the minute so i have gone back to my old one, i was wondering if there is any way for me to get my contacts off my new BBM too my old one Thanks
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BBM

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If the other device is not working, then it will depend on what you have already done at some time previous...

IF you migrated to BBM7, then your BBM contacts are already backed up "in the cloud"...you simply associate this new BB to the same BB ID, and your BBM contacts will come to it.

IF you previously backed up your BBM contacts to your other devices SD card, then you can bring those over to the new device by bringing the SD card over to the new device:

• KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

If you did the above, but to Device Memory, AND you copied the contents of your Device Memory to your computer, then the file containing your BBM contacts is on your computer...you can bring that file to your BB, and use it to import your BBM contacts.

IF you previously conducted a Desktop Software backup of your now-dead BB, then the backup file on your PC may be (depending on version) usable to conduct a selective restore of your BBM Contacts to your BB:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
  • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Note please that all of this depends on things you did BEFORE the BB died...if it indeed is not at all usable right now, then there is no method to extract from it this data you desire.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code