Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
bryanwale
My Device: 9900

BIS overseas. First it worked, but now it doesn't.

Hi there, I have come across this problem and would be very grateful if someone could assist me in resolving it.

I'm using a Bold 9900 and brought it to the UK from South Africa with my South African sim card (MTN) the device is on roaming, but reception is so bad that the device is almost un usable.

I have it connected to the home WI-FI here in the UK and this allows me to use my BIS. For 3 weeks while I have been here, I have been able to use BBM etc while in range of the WI-FI. Today I inserted a friends spare "3" or "Network-3" sim card to allow me to make calls easier and cheaper while I'm here, took the sim card out, put my old one back in and that's when the problem started.

No BIS anymore when connected to the WI-FI on my originally "BIS" working MTN sim card.

Now I have looked around the web and the only thing I have come across is something vague referring the PIN pairing itself with the network/carrier.

What exactly is the situation here, and how do I fix this so that I can resume my previous use? (BIS working from my MTN sim while connected to WI-FI)

Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: BIS overseas. First it worked, but now it doesn't.

When you inserted your friend's "3" SIM card, your PIN got associated with the "3" network.  Now you're going back to your original SIM card while your PIN is still being associated with the other network.  It's a security feature which doesn't allow your PIN to bounce around from carrier to carrier.  Remember that BlackBerry devices are all about security.

Not to worry, though, there's an easy solution.  Call 3 in the UK and tell them to release your phone's PIN from their network.  Once that's done, insert your original SIM card in your phone so that it may once again be associated with your phone's PIN.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
kosten4
My Device: BB Bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone UK

I had the same problem but here in UK with local network supliers. I fixed that when registered the host routing table. :smileyhappy: I know, it sounds stupid, but that's what I did and solved the problem.
Good luck
Blackberry! Here, now, forever!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bryanwale
My Device: 9900

Thanks for the input! I just got off the phone with 3 who claim that my pin couldn't have possibly become associated with their network as BIS had not been activated on the 3 sim card. So now I'm back to square one..
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

Registering the phone, as suggested by bryanwale, is also a good idea. To do that, from your homescreen follow Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table>(Menu Key)>Register Now.

I should have suggested that initially. Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

Sorry, it was kosten4 who suggested that, not yourself. I should pay closer attention. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.