Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BIS service dropping with full signal

Im using OS 6.0.0.546 on my 9700 with Tesco Mobile.

I havent been using my device for about 6months as was using android (ssh!) Up until then I was using my device on O2 (various OS upgrades but never upgraded to OS6 always on OS5) and never had any BIS problems.

I upgraded to OS6 and wiped my device and started using it with my Tesco sim and I started to notice that my BIS service was dropping quite frequently. I can be sat at my desk at work or be outside and have a full 3G signal, and the BlackBerry icon for BIS service with cut out. It will eventually come back on it own - or I can manage connections and untick the network and tick it again, and BIS will reappear.

It also seems to be affected by apps, such as Foursquare, GetGlue and Google Maps. For example, this morning I had BIS and was walking to work and received a BBM fine, I open Foursquare to check in and was in an outside location with a full signal, and foursquare was connected to find my location, then as soon as i go to check in - BIS disappears and nothing will connect until I disconnect and reconnect network. The same thing happens with opening google maps, when I have a full signal, then I open google maps and they cant connect and I close the app and see I have no BIS.

I never have any issues when connected to WiFi.

I purchased a T-Mobile PAYG sim, and tried that and I encountered the same problems there so I know it is not an issue with Tesco (who piggyback O2's Network)

The issue is very sporadic. I can go a day with no issue, and others it happens more often and sometimes repeatedly. I've been a regular user of BlackBerrys way back since the 7230 so understand how they work, and expect there to be problems with BIS if I am connecting somewhere with a low signal and struggling to connect, and also if I was on the move. But when this occurs when I am static and with full signal - I'm baffled.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Is this a problem with OS6? I am using a Mac so its not possible for me to upgrade my OS unless my DM offers it.

But it's really driving me up the wall as its always disconnected just as I really need to use it!