Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

BOLD 9000 Storage Capacity and Applications

Just curious as to whey RIM is using only the 128MB of ROM on the device to allow for Downloaded apps from App World or where ever to store them.  That is where the OS is stored and loaded as well right?  Well why can't they re-direct ALL downloads to either the on-board 1GB of RAM or to the micro-SD card or at least give the option to download to either of those?  I don't have an iPhone (and don't want one either), but my wife does and it is an 8GB device where EVERYTHING is stored, even apps she downloads from their app store so she doesn't have to worry about space and can download as many as 8GB will store.  Why didn't RIM do the same thing?  Can anyone shed some light on that for me?
Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BOLD 9000 Storage Capacity and Applications

sonixeb, It really is simple and difficult to answer, all at the same time.

1. Because the RIM OS is still based on the former model (back to 4.0, 4.1, etc.) when there was NO additional memory space, either Device memory or Application memory. At the time there was 32mb of device memory, if I recall correctly, on the 7100. As the OS levels and increased and RIM offered new devices with the Media Card capability (the 8100 was the first) the OS remained on the same basic design.

2. Security. Because of the above (and some of this is my own supposition, nothing concrete from RIM) and combined with the fact that some of RIM's earliest customers and contracts which still remain today include highly sensitive goverment and defense organizations (and defense contractors), they have been reticent to "open up" the applications memory space to user interaction, and likewise, have not opened up applications to install to the Media Card and to the expanded device memory seen on the 9000 bold and 8900 now. 

The Applications Memory space can be locked down tight and virtually inpenetrable (hence you NEVER see virus attacks on the BlackBerry OS) and in hand, you don't read of hacking the BlackBerry Application memory space. It just doesn't happen.

Now, turn that card over, and install applications with highly sensitive data on the Media Card. Pop, the card is out and in a card reader on a PC, and the card uses basically same fileformatting as Windows. I think it leaves lots to be desired for the security needed to ensure it's safety and viability as an alternative memory space. I just don't think RIM is willing to risk the potential security issues, vs opening the media card up to applications and/or application data.

My opinion, take it for what it is worth--yet offered to you with some few years' insight to what is going on. All of the above is really on worth what you paid for it. Smiley Happy

Now, do I think it will change. Yes, eventually. Not right yet, though.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Oh, and you are not the only one asking.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Bold&thread.id=22524

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

thanks so much for the quick response!  i appreciate it.  i guess i will just have to sit back, relax, be patient and see what happens.  hopefully, something will change in this regard sooner than later.  take care and thanks again!
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

JSanders, excellent job in your explanation! The first one I have read put this way and it makes total sense! Well put.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Digi

Question 1:

I have an Update to my Blackberry OS 5 pending in my Application Summary whenever I open my Blackberry Desktop Software. The size of this update is 34.1MB.

All of my applications currently add up to about 15MB, and I have also 15MB free space right now. Even if I deleted each and every one of my applications, I would only get free space of 30MB. Is it ever possible for me to download the update??

Question 2:

How on earth did I use up 113MB of application storage? From what I can see and as mentioned above, all my applications take up about 15MB, the OS itself takes up 28.3MB i think. That's only about 43MB. What's eating up the other 70MB??