Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
kwheelzsb
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
Accepted Solution

BOLD 9650 - MICRO SD CARDS: Highest CLASS # SPEC?

[ Edited ]

Ok, I searched. Couldn't find it.

PLEASE, I'M NOT ASKING ABOUT CAPACITY. I understand MAX is 32GB Micro SD for the 9650.

What I'm trying to find out, is what is the highest/fastest Micro SD CLASS specification supported by the 9650 currently & also if that will change with newer OS update(s).

As I understand it, the higher the class specification, the faster the data transfer rates, the faster the performance related to moving data on/off the card. (The hardware & O/S of the device needs to support that level, or "CLASS" of M-SD card to gain the benefits, though).

Basically, is the phone able to realize any performance benefits (worth it for me to pay the extra $) from use of a CLASS 4, CLASS 6, micro SD CARD, or would this be a waste of $, given the phone's capability?

(Should I just get a CLASS 2 CARD & be done with it? Faster is better & I'm willing to pay for performance, I just don't want to pay unneccessarily for performance in the Micro SD that the phone cannot use.)

Please any BB techies out there - chime in...

Thanks,

-A noob-

New Contributor
kwheelzsb

Re: BOLD 9650 - MICRO SD CARDS: Highest CLASS # SPEC?

Wow, no BB geeks? Nothing but cobwebs, here... so I went s'plorin'...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/sdhc-memory-class-definitive-answer-anywhere-497922/

No hard facts, vis a vis a statement/spec from RIM, but anecdotally, the higher class rated cards do perform better, apparently.

New Contributor
wc4r
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650 -Sprint

Great question! I would like to know as well.

Anyone?

New Contributor
Violette
My Device: BB

I use a  Class 2 M-SDHC card w/ my 9650 and it works fine. I know someone that uses a Class 4 M-SDHC but I haven't heard of any comparisons between classes. Using a Class 2 seems to work well enough for me, so I'm not looking specifically to get a Class 4 when it comes to transferring data.

I'm not a BB techie but hopefully one will pop in to fully answer your question.

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

From BlackBerry the max media card support is known but the supported class is not listed. The following table lists the BlackBerry Device Software versions and the media card sizes they support.

BlackBerry Device Software version Media card size limit
BlackBerry Device Software version 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
BlackBerry Device Software version 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
BlackBerry Device Software version 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
BlackBerry Device Software version 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
BlackBerry Device Software version 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
BlackBerry Device Software version 4.5.0.81 Up to 16 GB
BlackBerry Device Software version 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
kwheelzsb

Ordered an 8GB class 6. I'll report back on any performance differences between it & the 2gb class 2 provided by Sprint...

New Contributor
kwheelzsb

Ok, said I would report back...

I received my new 8GB, Class 6 MicroSD card. It's made by "TOPRAM," kind-of a lesser known manufacturer - so I took a chance, but I'm glad I did. The price was less than 1/2 that of the bigger players in the memory business, but so far, it seems like the only thing I suffered for this decision is a slightly heavier wallet... :smileywink:

I transferred my data and installed the new card. It's not a scientific assessment with number & stats & the like, but...

The "Class 6" card is noticeably faster (than the "Class 2" card it replaced) for me on data transfer and data access functions, which for me, improves the overall user experience.

Two thumbs up for (Class 6) specified cards, afaic.

:smileyvery-happy: