Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Caliento
My Device: 9930
Accepted Solution

BOLD 9930 x 9900 (GSM x CDMA Data Handling)

Hello, from the link below and from the comparisons in the RIM website, I had the impression the 9930 only added CDMA to the 9900. I then decided to purchase a 9930 to be safe, but am having difficulties connecting it to my Brazilian phone provider (the data does not work, but voice is good). Can someone confirm that the 9930 really only adds CDMA technology to the 9900 and should be working with my Brazilian GSM provider?

http://www.basitali.com/2011/08/difference-between-blackberry-9900-and-blackberry-9930.html

Thanks!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BOLD 9930 x 9900 (GSM x CDMA Data Handling)

[ Edited ]

Yes, the 9930 does include the GSM network bands you need for a GSM network provider.

It should work.

You might not get 3G or 4G service depending on your home GSM network.

If you posted more detail of your issue connecting to data, we might can help.

• Do you have THE Blackberry Data Plan with TIM?
  • Is the 9930 registered on their network?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Caliento

I do have the Blackberry Data Plan with TIM. The same SIM card is working in my previous Blackberries.

I was not able to register the 9930 with TIM because the data services are not working. When I try to browse I get the following meesage: "Browsing over the cellular network is not included as part of your current service plan. To browse the web you must use Wi-Fi or contact your service provider to change your service plan".

I do get the 3G connected symbol at the top of the phone, however no data is transmitted :-(.

Thanks!!

JSanders

[ Edited ]

i.e., my second question.  your device PIN and IMEI is not registered on their network.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Caliento

Are you saying that now I have to register the PIN and IMEI on their network? Should I call my provider (TIM) to register since the data is not working? I find this strange because I cannot use the BB browser and I never had to register like this in the past...

I would always register the emails with my BES account, but I can't even do that now since the data is not working...

In any case, do you agree that the 9930 only has to add the CDMA  to the 9900 and should be working?

Thanks a lot!!

JSanders

Caliento wrote:

Are you saying that now I have to register the PIN and IMEI on their network? Should I call my provider (TIM) to register since the data is not working?

Yes, you need to check that. Remember, in the past, you weren't using a CDMA phone. Now you are.

Caliento wrote:

In any case, do you agree that the 9930 only has to add the CDMA  to the 9900 and should be working?

Yes, it should be.

However... there are variables which you didn't consider buying a foreign phone. If this device has been used on a Verizon previously, it could still be registered on the Verizon network. In that case, you will need to call Verizon and ask them to remove it from their network, because it is keeping you from registering on your network. Explain that you bought the device used. If the previous left a balance due, or the phone has been reported lost or stolen, they probably won't do this.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Caliento

I'll try that then... Thanks a lot JSanders!!