Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Mascom Botswana

Backing up device data on BlackBerry Bold 9900 unsuccesful

I am failing to backup my device data.(BlackBerry Bold 9900, OS 7.0 bundle 2406) The backup process runs up until it encouters the 'Backing Up Service Book Records', it gets stuck here for hours? The backup never completes.

What could be the cause of this?

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Backing up device data on BlackBerry Bold 9900 unsuccesful

Try a selective backup and select everything except Service Book Records and see if the backup will complete.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Super Contributor
My Device: Xperia Ray
My Carrier: Dhiraagu Maldives

Well, I've never come across such issues.. try backing up your device using a custom back-up & untick the service books, then see whether you're able to do??

.RoCkInG dUdE.
Trust Your Technolust | Do not PM for any support
If a solution received, please hit on to show your support.

Hello, 

I have tried that and it still doesnt work.

the reason for the backup is that i want to upgrade the OS to OS7.1 and the software update does not ive me options to select what i want to backup, correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,

Mboko

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

when you deselect service books it still hangs on backing up service books?

Try making a backup of just the important databases e.g. messages, calendar, contacts, tasks, memo pad, password keeper, and anything else you need.

When you run an update, it automatically makes a full backup. However, if it hangs on the manual backup it will probably hang on the automatic backup too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

John that is my biggest predicament. I am unable to make a full backup henc im unable to update my OS. What can i possibly change on the phone to make it possible to complete the full backup?

Is deleting service books records an option?

regards,

Mboko

Guru I

If you use the selective backup to just backup the important things that I listed above (and any others in the list you think you need or want) you can do the update without making any backup at all. Then when the update is done you can manually restore the selective backup you made.

Hello John,

How do i update without performing any backup?

Where do I set this option becuase when i select 'update' it automatically performs backup.

Regards,

Mboko

Guru I

Before doing this did you try rebooting the device by removing the battery and then seeing if the full backup will complete?  If you still can't get a full backup then you'll have to do it the old fashioned way and continue on below.

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. Do a selective backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry.   Backup whatever databases you think you need. 

3. Download the OS file from step 1 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Also check the following locations for vendor.xml files and delete any instances of the file:

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

5. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

When you're done restore the backup you made before the upgrade. 

Thank you John, let me try this a little later on. Will give you feedback then.

Good day