Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
covlocks
My Carrier: Orange

Bad Reception

Some advice would be appreciated please before I turn my phone into a submarine.

Device info

Carrier: ORANGE

Model info and OS version : 9700  V5.0.0.593 (Bundle 1022, Platform 5.1.0.147)

Apps and free space. No Apps - Free Space = 122185049

Did a battery pull fix your issue? No

Apps installed and their version if possible.   Nil

Question

My reception is the worst ever. The call regularly drops out for no reason - look at the reception monitor and it has gone to SOS. Sit and wait for a period of time and the reception comes back. Renewed the phone via warranty, same problem, changed sim card, same problem.

I use my old nokia phone on a PAYG sim card as well, at the same time as my Blackberry drops the signal the Nokia still shows good reception strength and the phone is useable.

My wife has the same problem with a Blackberry 9700 on Vodaphone. Phone and Sim card changed - still the reception keeps dropping out.

I never had this problem with my Blackberry Curve or with any other phone type, where reception was always good.

Is there something I can do, or is the 9700 just a piece of expensive junk?? My provider is of no help whatsoever and blames it on the weather, etc, which I dont buy as mobile phones have always worked in my house and continue to do so, except the 9700.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,743
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bad Reception

Try this, go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > and try changing the Network from 3G to 2G only and for a day or so test to see if the signal drops low.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
covlocks

Thank you - I have done that before but I will give it another try so see if it decreases my level of dropped calls. :manhappy:

I will know on the way home from work as I can rarely talk for more that a minute or two before the call drops (hands free in the car). That why I have re-instated and old Nokia with a PAYG sim card.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
samsoon
My Carrier: Etisalat

Exactly the same issue. I did try everything I think its a bad batch of 9700 in stock.

Other people at the same place are saying its the best ever reception.

Don't bother go back for the curve

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
covlocks

Hi, I tried switching to 2G only - there was no difference, or to be exact, I think it was slightly worse if anything. The phone drops calls regularly, I immediately check the reception "bars" and in most cases it still indicates 1 or 2 bars.

This 9700 is rapidly heading toward "junk" status. Its a pity because i love the Blackberry Messenger, but it does look like I am heading back to Nokia, which is a far more reliable make.

Please use plain text.