Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
K42patel
My Device: bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Battery / OS problem. On the 9900 Phone will crash due to sever battery drain.

I have a blackberry bold 9900 and the battery problem started a month ago.

when I  unplug the phone from the charger its fully charged and so on. When I start doing stuff on the phone the battery will suddenly die on me. Its not the applications or anything running in the background. The phone will crash midway while running any app and it will be at less than 5% left. All of this happens in less than 15 mins;

This problem started after I updated to the latest build of 7.1 OS, since then I have reinstalled both 7.1 builds and both 7.0 builds and I still have the same problem.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the phone or if there is a fix for it. I don't want to buy a new battery and have the same problem with it. Does anyone have the same issue or have a fix for it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900

Re: Battery / OS problem. On the 9900 Phone will crash due to sever battery drain.

How long have you had the 9900??

Which OS are you on right now?

If your on 7.1 OS you can use the Blackberry Device Analyzer Battery Test.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: Battery / OS problem. On the 9900 Phone will crash due to sever battery drain.

Hi K42patel

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

From what you described in my opinion 95% its a Battery issue but not OS 7.1, As you don't want to buy a new Battery I suggest if you can manage or  borrow a Charged Battery from any of your friend try it on your device to see the difference.

For 5% I would reload the device OS , and after Relaod I would leave all Optional third party application apart for a week to see if any third party application is responsible. 

Good luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
K42patel

[ Edited ]

prince2012 wrote:

Hi K42patel

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

From what you described in my opinion 95% its a Battery issue but not OS 7.1, As you don't want to buy a new Battery I suggest if you can manage or  borrow a Charged Battery from any of your friend try it on your device to see the difference.

For 5% I would reload the device OS , and after Relaod I would leave all Optional third party application apart for a week to see if any third party application is responsible. 

Good luck.

Thanks

. I should just wait  Q10 i cant wait for it.

Does anyone know when its coming out.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Hi K42patel

I like your Choice :smileyhappy: Its only BlackBerry who can confirm the exact date, but as we all know  it may launch on April 2013.

Cheers !

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
K42patel

[ Edited ]

Teaboy1748 wrote:

How long have you had the 9900??

Which OS are you on right now?

If your on 7.1 OS you can use the Blackberry Device Analyzer Battery Test.

i have had the phone ever since it came out in canada. i bought it on the first day. also i tried all the different builds i will do a battery test as you suggested thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900

The reason I asked how long you had the phone for is because kinda what prince2012 described it may be a battery problem.

Since you had your phone first day it release I assume its around August 2011 ??
It sounds like a battery problem,

Here is a little article on Lithium-Ion battery

Lithium-ion batteries age. They start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will only last 2-3 years from the date of manufacture whether you use them or not. You should fully make use of your Lithium-ion battery, because it will still die off even if you store it aside and not using it for long time.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
K42patel

Teaboy1748 wrote:
The reason I asked how long you had the phone for is because kinda what prince2012 described it may be a battery problem.

Since you had your phone first day it release I assume its around August 2011 ??
It sounds like a battery problem,

Here is a little article on Lithium-Ion battery

Lithium-ion batteries age. They start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will only last 2-3 years from the date of manufacture whether you use them or not. You should fully make use of your Lithium-ion battery, because it will still die off even if you store it aside and not using it for long time.

I have  ordered another battery and i should be getting it tomorrow or on monday. I hope its the battery problem and is soon resolved.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Anastasia-82
My Device: Blackberry bold 9900

I have same issue. I updated OS and after problem with battery appeared. In 10 minutes appr.10% can get down. I am sure it is not battery issue as I use phone for one week only and before update all worked fine. Maybe you or somebody know how to turn off OS or applications updates? :Eek:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
K42patel

Anastasia-82 wrote:

I have same issue. I updated OS and after problem with battery appeared. In 10 minutes appr.10% can get down. I am sure it is not battery issue as I use phone for one week only and before update all worked fine. Maybe you or somebody know how to turn off OS or applications updates? :Eek:

I updated the phone, also downgraded and kept fix for. I am just waiting for the new battery to arrive and hopefully it will work

Please use plain text.