Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
Accepted Solution

Battery draining when off?

I've been experiencing battery drain when my phone is fully off. I'll lose 10% of battery life after about 2 hours. Has this happened to anyone else?

Solutions: 6,065
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Battery draining when off?

Check your applications running in the background. Press your Menu key and then choose Switch Applications to see what is running in the background (or, hold down the Menu key about 3 seconds for the App Switcher ribbon to appear). There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are others such as BeamBerry and Alarms which will also run). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (should return the bookmarks page only). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps). Applications like GoogleMaps and streaming audio apps such as Pandora or the Media Player left running in the background are big battery drainers.

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life
And here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Community-Post/Power-Saving-Tips-for-your-BlackBer...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I've been on numerous forums already and I've made sure that I have no apps open. I've closed all unnecessary connections as well. Do you think it could be a defective battery?

[ Edited ]

kevinb wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I've been on numerous forums already and I've made sure that I have no apps open. I've closed all unnecessary connections as well.

Sorry for the repeat, then. See, I don't know what all you've read and where you've been. The suggestions above are valid reasons for the battery drain.

There must be other things you're stating, something else you've done, new OS software, other apps freshly installed? What else (like this above) have you not told us.

kevinb wrote:

Do you think it could be a defective battery?

Doubtful. But getting a new battery is always a good idea, I keep a second one around.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I am running the OS 6 software. Do you think a software problem could be the cause?

With regards to apps, I use Facebook, Twitter, and the ScoreMobile. However, the battery drainage has been happening before I even installed any apps. I am also connected to my Gmail account. I guess I'll stop using these applications and see if the problem persists.

kevinb wrote:

I've been experiencing battery drain when my phone is fully off. I'll lose 10% of battery life after about 2 hours. Has this happened to anyone else?

That's not bad, for your device and those apps running. You could estimate you'd go 8 hours with only 40% drain? Darn good. 16 hours and you'd be at 20%. I'd love to have that battery life.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

The problem with my phone is that battery drainage occurs while it is shut off. Furthermore, I only got the phone 3 weeks ago.

When you turn off the BlackBerry, if you've left certain applications running in the background, well, they keep running. If you're in a low signal area, the BlackBerry will search for a signal. If you're on WiFi, and it goes in and out, it keeps searching.

The most important practice you can adopt is to be sure to CLOSE applications when you are finished using them.

If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory and battery will get used up.

To check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

So now, check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I have consistently made sure that all my apps were closed before shutting the phone down. However, this has not seemed to stop the battery drainage.

Maybe so, but something is running in the background to drain the battery.

Knowledge Base Updates