Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
tinyfury
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Believe BB PIN has been hacked. Need help to stop being spammed

Hello,

Bold 9900.  Constantly being spammed via Blackberry Messenger (BBM).  Have wiped phone.  Done software updates.  Spam continues.  Deleted BBM and the Spam came via email instead - people requesting to be a BBM Contact.  Phone has not been lost or misplaced.  

Visited phone provider today (Vodafone UK) who told me to request a new PIN or a change of PIN from Blackberry via the website.  (www.blackberry.co.uk) I typed this into the Blackberry website search engine and I can't find anything about this.

I expect the PIN has become public somehow (has someone accessed the Blackberry ID??)

All suggestions warmly welcomed.  Please be kind with your jargon and acronyms.  I'm new!  And I'm not wonderfully technological!

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Believe BB PIN has been hacked. Need help to stop being spammed

tinyfury wrote:

Bold 9900.  Constantly being spammed via Blackberry Messenger (BBM).  Have wiped phone.  Done software updates.  Spam continues.  Deleted BBM and the Spam came via email instead - people requesting to be a BBM Contact.  Phone has not been lost or misplaced.  

1. You have not been hacked. Did you buy the phone used or directly from Vodafone? Likely what is happening, someone mistakenly typed your PIN in some internet forum for PIN sharing exchange site. You might find it by doing a google search on your PIN.

tinyfury wrote:

Visited phone provider today (Vodafone UK) who told me to request a new PIN or a change of PIN from Blackberry via the website.  (www.blackberry.co.uk) I typed this into the Blackberry website search engine and I can't find anything about this.

That Vodafone rep is just plain goofy and really has no idea what they're speaking of. You cannot change or get a new PIN. The PIN on a BlackBerry comes hardcoded to the device from the factory. It is the only PIN you can have without getting a new device. That rep needs to go back to First Grade BlackBerry training.

Anyway... that's it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
pep4
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: vodaphone

Re: Believe BB PIN has been hacked. Need help to stop being spammed

Hello Tinyfury - reading your message was like dejavu!  Exactly my experience.  My pin number was hacked! No good news for you I'm afraid as it seems the only way to resolve this is to contact BB (IMPOSSIBLE) and get them to change your PIN.  Vodaphone cannot do this for you.  I was getting hundreds of messages streaming in which drove me nuts.  I have taken sim card out of phone and put it into a cheap handset until I can upgrade which is fortunately only four weeks away, but I will think very carefully about having another BB because of lack of one to one support.

Very good luck to you

Please use plain text.