Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Barney48
My Device: Bold 9780
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry 9780 - Screen starting to fail - what do I do?

I have a BlackBerry 9780 which I bought from a friend who upgraded his own phone.

I would have gone straight for a BlackBerry of any sort from tesco on contract  but the situation at the time made it difficult.

I started my contract with Tesco/O2 with a Samsung BlackBerry lookalike.  A few weeks later I bought a BlackBerry PlayBook and realised that t get the most out of this I also needed to have a BlackBerry phone.  Tesco would not let me exchange the samsung as I was over a month into contract with another 23 months to go.  So buying the 9780 from my mate was really the only option.  The guys at Tesco sorted out my BlackBerry connection for me - fair play to them they have been superb!

I gave the Samsung to the wife!

The 9780 has been great.  I have been using it since about January/February of this year.  My mate had actually had sent it away for a repair/refurb, (evidently the centre navigation button was faulty), before he sold it on to me.

I have noticed that there is a small area that has gone blacl on the screen, it looks a bit like a rorschash diagram, (that's the best way to describe it).  I happened to be in Maplin's the other day and I showed it to a chap who seemed to be quite knowledgable.

He reckons the screen is depixelling or words to that effect.

I need it to last for at least another 18 months until my contract is up and then I will renew and get another one.

What is the best couse of action?    

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BlackBerry 9780 - Screen starting to fail - what do I do?

Hello,

Not only your "best course of action", but likely your ONLY course of action is thus. Leave it be for as long as you can tolerate the issue. If you cannot tolerate it now and/or if it degrades to the point of you not being able to tolerate it and/or other issues begin to appear, then find a shop with a BB hardware technician to give you a proper evaluation and estimate for repairs.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Barney48

I was worried that the "rorschash" would propagate and spread.  I suppose that's why I have asked the question in anticipation of this occurring.  Is this likely, or am i worrying unecessarily?

In the event, that it does spread across the whole of the screen, or at least until I can't see what I'm doing, who would you recommend.

I haven't talked to anyone yet, so I suppose my first stop will be Tesco where my contract is.

Failing that I suppose it's somewhere like Carphonewarehouse - am I right?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Barney48 wrote:

I was worried that the "rorschash" would propagate and spread.  I suppose that's why I have asked the question in anticipation of this occurring.  Is this likely, or am i worrying unecessarily?

Not having your device in my hands to evaluate, coupled with not being a BB hardware technician, my only answer (to the part about "is this likely") can be -- perhaps. Perhaps it will spread. Perhaps it will shrink. Perhaps nothing will change. I've no idea which is more likely, if indeed any is more likely than the others.

As for the second half (worrying unecessarily [sic]), no I don't think so. One problem could be a mere cascaded symptom, with something else being the actual root cause, and other cascaded symptoms could appear. But, again, at our internet-distance, all I can do is guess based on what you say (and those guesses aren't even SWAGs...but mere WAGs).

Barney48 wrote:

In the event, that it does spread across the whole of the screen, or at least until I can't see what I'm doing, who would you recommend.

A local (to you) shop with a good reputation and a qualified BB technician. More specific than that, I cannot provide.

Barney48 wrote:

I haven't talked to anyone yet, so I suppose my first stop will be Tesco where my contract is.

Always a good place to start. You never know, they might even take pity on you and provide you with additional assistance. And hopefully they know the reputable shops in your area.

Barney48 wrote:

Failing that I suppose it's somewhere like Carphonewarehouse - am I right?

I can only review them based on reports I've seen here on this site...which are decidedly mixed.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
icedgorilla
My Device: 9900

[ Edited ]

Hi,

as far as I know , dead pixel or blackspot will gradually getting larger in a long period of time.

9700 & 9780 are very tough phones, its one of the best Blackberry produced, but it has one weakness

which is the screen / lcd. sometime it gives you a black spot, dead pixel, white blank screen or black blankscreen.

the replacement normally are made in China, they have different qualities.

so make sure if you take it to a local repairer, you are given a minimum of couple weeks warranty

it is a 2 minutes job to replaces it, only need to take out 6 screws and 2 clips

but the problem is that sometimes you dont get a good replacement.

once I tried 5 screens before I get a good one.

and once you using a replacement screen, be prepared to replaced it again after 4-6 months if your unlucky.

here is how its done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2xkr15QQkY

Contributor
Barney48

Thanks for the great response - the YouTube video switched a lot of lights on!

I am still not confident I could do this myself.  I tend to be a very ham-fisted.  It's Sod's Law I would break something.

What's the usual going rate for something like this if I were to take the phone into a repair shop?

Also, the guy mentions the version reference on the back of the screen.  According to the guy you can't find this out until you have dismantled and therefore won't have the replacement to hand for the reassembly because you have to order using that reference.

Is there any way around this?  It seems strange that you would have to do this - surely its just a screen for a 9780?

I don't know enough about these things so I am very reliant on you experts! 

Regular Contributor
icedgorilla
My Device: 9900

[ Edited ]

if you not confident of doing it yourself,

I suggest you shopped around for a best price.

here where I live, it cost US$50 for the part and labour.

its pretty expensive compare to any other BB model

for example, 9900 screen including touchscreen cost US$32 :smileyhappy:

your right, you must get the right one, the same code one, 001,002 or 004

and the only way to check it is you pull it apart, and there is no other way.

if you put a wrong one on, few things can happen, you get white screen, blank screen

or not a full screen :smileyhappy:

maybe its a good idea if you shop around now for a best price, and wait untill

its unbearable, then you get it replaced. its a very easy job for a repairer or someone who had done it before.

takes me less then 5 minutes :smileyhappy: