Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

BlackBerry Bold 9700 Screen Issue

Hi

I've an issue with my BlackBerry 9700's screen. It would go bright, and have an alternating lines of pixels (vertical as well as horizontal) go bright. This makes the images very awkward while using it. It turn to to normal when a put some pressure on the top right corner of the screen, but would come back after a while.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Regards,

Hatim Thayyil

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: BlackBerry Bold 9700 Screen Issue

Hello hatimbt

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

I assume you already have a good BlackBerry Battery or first try another good BlackBerry Battery and see how it works. You should also consider performing a Clean OS reload which will fix any software issues within your BlackBerry .To do that , first perform a backup of your device using desktop software then reload your device OS by following this Knowledge Base Article :

KB11320 : How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device software using BlackBerry desktop software for windows

Before restoring anything from your backup first check your device if issue reoccurs , then proceed with selective restore , restore only your Contacts , calender , memos etc.

I hope it will help or you have to visit your service provider to check if it's an hardware issue.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Hi

I've uploaded a video of the problem. Maybe it would help to better understand the problem.

I think it is not a software issue, because it works normal while you give a slight pressure on the top right corner of the screen.

Thank you,

Hatim Thayyil,
Regards,
New Contributor

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hi there,

Thanks for this Update !

Yes it may be a hardware issue , for that you have to visit your service provider to get it fixed , But still if you wish you can always try an OS reload as a first attempt  in resolving such issue . If problem reoccurs even after a reload then vist your Service Provider to get it fixed .

Good luck.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: xl

[ Edited ]

BB 9700 and 9780 are pretty tough phones, but these type always has a problem with the LCD.

cause the lcd flex cable is in a pretty bad position.

if after reinstall / upgrade o/s the problem persist, I'm pretty sure you need to replace an LCD.

unfortunately, the replacement of this type of LCD is pretty dear, it cost more than 9900 which includes

a touchscreen.

you may purchased it on ebay or local shop, just make sure you purchased the right one,
please see the code at the back of the lcd, it will tell you if it is 001 or 002 etc.

if you put a different code or wrong code lcd on, you will get a white screen.

I advised you get it from local shop, as so many replacement isnt working normal.

once I tried 5 lcd untill I get the normal one, so you dont wanna keep sending back a bad lcd to an ebay seller.

to replace it yourself,  you should be able to find the way on you tube.

hope this help.

New Contributor

Hi

A new development. The screen would go white (did not replace the LCD) and when I tap the screen, it becomes normal (but not perfect, the state which I showed in the video). Would this be due to any loose connection? If so, would I have to replace the LCD still.

I tried a fix shown on youtube, but it isn't working.

Do you know any site that shows tutorials for fixing things (like ifixit.com for Apple devices) on BlackBerry devices?

Thank you,

Hatim Thayyil,
Regards,
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: xl

Hi,

could be two things here, if you dropped the phone in the first place, the flex lcd connection could be lose.

but if nothing happened to the phone before problem start, most likely you need to replace the lcd.

most of fixes on you tube are temporary fix,

some people smash or hit the phone hard and the screen back to normal lol (if you dont break thephone) ... some press some keys on keypad while turn off & on the screen ... but it would only fix it for sometimes

check this out to replace the lcd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bJUtu_celw