Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Tyrexionibus
My Carrier: Wind Telecom SpA

BlackBerry Internet Service continuously dropping out on 9790 Bold

Hello,

I'm the owner of a 9790 Bold under Telecom Italia Media SpA carrier (I TIM) in Italy. I'm experiencing a very strong issue regarding the BIS service: it continuously drops out, even when there is cell coverage. Most of the time I'm under 3G, so the BIS drops out in full coverage.

Symptom of this is that the BlackBerry symbol disappears from 3G (if under 3G), or "EDGE" becomes "edge" decapitalized. There is a workaround for this: I have to shut down "Mobile Network" from the main dropdown menu, and then immediately reboot it. With this method, the BIS becomes available again.

So it is not a carrier's problem, or a coverage issue, as the BIS is always available. It's the phone that is not capable of "intercepting" it, or at least I'm thinking so. Please note that enabling Wi-Fi solves the issue too, as long as there is IEEE 802.11 coverage in the 9790.

The BIS drops out every 45-60 minutes ca., and this problem DID NOT appear with my previous carrier! Not even one time! So, to be sure, I have contacted my new carrier too. They are investigating the issue.

How can I make sure it's not an issue of my phone, or solve it if it is?

Thank you

Tyrexionibus

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: BlackBerry Internet Service continuously dropping out on 9790 Bold

Hello Tyrexionibus

Can you try those steps over your Mobile Network :

1- Register your Handheld .

• KB00510 : How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Wait till a Registration messages comes in your message box.

2- Delete and Resend your Service Book

• KB05000 : Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB02830 : Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • ( Wait till a Registration Message comes in your message box for each email that you have configured on your device )

3-  Then perform a battery pull restart like this while the device is powered On remove your battery wait for a min. then reinsert it back

After reboot please check if your issue resolve to some extend,

Also within your device you can use BlackBerry Device Analyzer to check the your Intermittent Connection Drops and report it to your Carrier about this issue . 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tyrexionibus

Thank you. I've registered my handheld succesfully, but I could not delete & reactivate the Service Book because the instructions you gave me are only suitable for BB 6.0 and earlier. However, I think this isn't a major issue.

Most importantly, I've enabled the BB Device Analyzer. It will generate a report about my intermittent connection. Now, I just have to wait...

BTW: if I disabled the mobile network for a bunch of seconds to have the BIS again, would this affect the performance of the BBDA?

Tyrexionibus

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Tyrexionibus wrote:

but I could not delete & reactivate the Service Book because the instructions you gave me are only suitable for BB 6.0 and earlier. However, I think this isn't a major issue.

Hi there,

Those Instructions were same for OS 7 or 7.1 , Go to Options > Device > Advance System Setting > Service Books > On that list locate the service book associated with the BlackBerry Internet Service account ( The BlackBerry Internet Service service books are named after the associated email accounts (for example, <account name> [CMIME]) . > Delete the Service Book from there .

Once you have deleted you can resend those Service Books , For that  > On Home screen >  Setup icon > click on the Email Accounts >  select Internet Mail Account >  If prompted Log In using username and password >  Menu key > select Service Books > click on Send Service Books.

Those steps do help a lot for most issues with our services .

Tyrexionibus wrote:

BTW: if I disabled the mobile network for a bunch of seconds to have the BIS again, would this affect the performance of the BBDA?

Well .. If you disable your Mobile network for a few seconds or for an hour , it will be reflected on results and Device analyzer will show this on its report .

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tyrexionibus

Hello again.

Enabled the BBDA to test the intermittent connection. Unfortunately, the intermittent connection test does not test the BlackBerry Internet Service: it only reports if the 2G/3G "standard" connection persists or drops.

As said before, my only issue is not the 2G/3G connection: not at all. It's the BIS, that makes the "EDGE" go "edge" and the "3G + BlackBerry symbol" go "3G without BlackBerry symbol", thus disabling emails and Internet plus all services except for phone calls and SMSes.

As of now, there is no known method for me to make the BIS re-enable automatically after a dropout: the only trick is to manually disable Mobile Network for 2-3 seconds, and then re-enable it and wait for the next BIS dropout. This makes things go wrong and complicated, as meanwhile I'm losing data (emails and WhatsApp messages almost); in addition doing this many times a day it's very annoying. At home dropouts are so frequent that I have to keep Wi-Fi always on in my BlackBerry, thus consuming more battery than if I had Wi-Fi disabled (it's my policy not to keep Wi-Fi enabled at home for mobile phones and keep it always disabled unless I am in a public place with mobile signal issues and I need radio power; this is for battery purposes).

Please help. In substance, the whole reply can be resumed to the following question: «How to make BIS re-enable itself after a dropout?»

In fact, the problem is that BIS is always available ! If it was not available, re-enabling the Mobile Network after the dropout would make no results. Instead, the act of re-enabling makes it available immediately after it's done, thus telling me that the problem is just that it can't pull himself up after a fall.

Please note that I have not deleted and resent my Service Books, and I'm about to do it in minutes.

Suggestions?

Tyrexionibus

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi there ,

Those problem may happen only because of two reason , First the fault is from your Carrier network side secondly  may be the problem is within your device .

For first issue you can try a few thing , call your Carrier and let them know about the problem you're having with BIS and if needed let them reset your BIS account on there server , or if needed try a new SIM card . 

If problem is within your device then always the first steps is a battery pull restart , if you're a heavy user then you should perform battery pull restart depending on your usages , rebooting in this manner fixes most issues within our BlackBerry . But.. if you feel the same problem even after a battery pull restart then to rule out any software issue you can try an OS Update / Reload . 

Please use plain text.