Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Orange

Re: BlackBerry's sensors trying to be clever are just annoying

The only thing I've found. There may be some other trick I've not come across yet. Just to point out, this doesn't happen absolutely every time I use the phone. It seems fine when the phone's resting on a desk, but tends to go wrong most often when it's in my hand.

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I think this is some glitch, not a setting or sensor doing this.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: curver, 9900, Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

There is a facial detection sensor which deactivates the screen when the phone is near your head.  It is possible that you are inadvertently activating that sensor with your hand gestures.  I found, at first, that it was hard to operate the phone function to hang up a call because my hand movement kept making the screen go blank as I inadvertently triped the sensor.  I think that the sensor is located near the top left of the front of the Q10. Not sure where it is located on the Bold.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Orange

I've found out what it is. It is sensor-related, and it's actually marketed as a feature! I bought a new case recently (HDW-31228-002), specifically intended for the BlackBerry Bold, only because I lost my old generic one. It would appear that the case is the culprit. I usually rest my phone on its case while I'm using it, as I'm sure many people do. Now, however, because of this absurd "proximity sensor" feature, it's causing the screen to turn off when I'm using it. Whoever thought that was a good feature probably shouldn't be working in product design. The mind boggles...

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Mike, good finding there.

Of course it is not a feature that the device goes black when rested against the case!

It is so, when inserted in the case. It's not a proximity sensor, its the magnet within the case.

I've been using BlackBerrys and OEM holsters with the magnet for 8 years, never rested mine against the case.

I'm glad you got it figured out.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code