Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry 9900 frozen on software update

Ronin, do you believe those valuable pictures are stored on the 9900 device memory or on the removable media card?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CanadaRonin
My Device: Bold 9900

I do not have a media card so the images must be in the device memory.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Argh.  Not good.

Read over this, first:  Article ID: KB29237 "App Error 602" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 7

If you can connect to the Desktop Software and run a selective backup... read this:

Article ID: KB29522 "Error backing up databases" message is generated at Smart Card Options database when backing up the BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rog45
My Device: bold 9900

BACK UP BEFORE YOU UPDATE

Well, I see updating the 9900 doesn't really get better with age. I see the notification Icon on the phone but for some mysterious reason the home screen is locked up. It finally clears so I go to my desk top and it says that the desktop has to be updated before I can update the phone. Do that then plug in the phone and commence the update. Everything goes fine up to the point where the backed up material is about to be reinstalled and a window pops up say that the desktop updated needs to be completed. Finish that and Windows throws a runtime error. Clear that message window and the phone restarts as a new phone. All settings and contacts have vaporized.

Thank god I ran a separate backup for these before I started the update. All restored and working as it should. Interesting to note but all image, sound and other misc files were not affected by this screw up.

The 9900 is a great phone. It does exactly what I want it to do but RIM has got to start ensuring that their updates run much smoother than the do now.

Just as an afterthought, methinks the second desktop update may have been triggered by the phone thinkig it was a new one.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
missmaris15
My Device: Torch 9810

hey! did you ever figure out a solution to this problem?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
missmaris15

i`m having that same problem right now, did you ever find a solution?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rog45

Being a little more specific might help. Like exactly what has happened in your case.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
missmaris15

my phone has been frozen in a software update for more than 24hours. social feeds @ 0% overall backup at 10%. this has been constant. i tried turning it off, takign the battery out  nothing works.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rog45

Will it boot up at all after pulling the battery? Even if it doesn't with it turned on try using the Alt, Aa, Del combo to get it to restart. For reasons unbeknownst to anyone on the planet this may make a difference. If you can get it restarted maybe try uninstalling any social feeds as one of them may be causing the problem then try running the update again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
CanadaRonin
My Device: Bold 9900

Yes I fixed the problem with the 9900 freezing after the update.

What finally did it was that I downloaded the latest OS from the Crackberry.com site, then ran a utility called VENDELETE+ which removes the vendor specific info from the OS, then I installed that OS on the 9900 using Loader.exe and that did it.

Read this thread especially the good advice from BigBadWulf

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9930-9900-f235/can-i-backup-pics-using-bbsak-bmcp-other...

Please use plain text.