Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

SouthernCalBBuser
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

Blackberry 9930 "Proximity Sensor" or whatever it is -- the phone makes random conference calls

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

Long time Blackberry user here.  I like the phone because of the keyboard. If another phone had the same awesome keyboard that worked with manicured girly nails, I would be so gone. But, for now, I remain a Blackberry client most reluctantly.

I am on my second Blackberry 9930 Bold. The first one I got earlier this year, brand new in the box from Sprint as an upgrade (I was due for an upgrade so paid very little). Within two months the phone started making random conference calls while I was on a call. I dealt with it for about two additional months until I couldn't take it. Then one day the space bar stopped working so I was forced into a Sprint store.

After 30 minutes I was told the space bar couldn't be fixed and a replacement (effing refurbished! gag me) phone would be ordered. It arrived in a week. Two hours of data transfer later, I was on my way.  That was August 2012.

Now in October, the phone is going to TOWN on its random conference calls, and now even when the phone is on speaker phone. I went back to Sprint, who wants the phone for two hours to strip it of all software or some such god awful thing and I declined. They won't do anything but let the phrase "proximity sensor" slip. They said it probably doesn't work.

What the HELL is a phone doing making random conference calls and can I fix this? I see when Googling this issue that I am clearly not alone. It's a fatal phone It's BRUTAL.

Any ideas on what I can do, up to and including letting Sprint have it for two hours which could lead to total destruction? Oh, sidenote: the **bleep**ified customer service tells me they cannot refund my money because maybe it can be fixed, and they can't order a new insurance replacement (refurbished, 'natch) without the two hours destruction match. And I can't get an upgrade and why bother anyway? Sprint has exactly two BB to choose from, and one is mine. I said I may have to change vendors to start fresh, and they shrugged. I just need to get this effing phone to not call random folks when I am on the phone.

Ideas?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
avanveld
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930

Re: Blackberry 9930 "Proximity Sensor" or whatever it is -- the phone makes random conference calls

I posted a few days ago...i have the exact/identical problem, also on Sprint. They've replaced my phone twice, nothing makes it better. Would be happy to compare notes w/ you.

All i use the phone for is calling, 3 email accounts, flashlight app, BrickBreaker, export from my contact manager via Outlook to the calendar and contact files. That's pretty much it. Rarely use browser 'cuz it's slow. Oh, also use Telenav occasionally.

it's totally frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Samlaf
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930

Re: Blackberry 9930 "Proximity Sensor" or whatever it is -- the phone makes random conference calls

I have the exact same problem. I am on my 4th new Bold 9930 and it constantly random dials while I am on a call. Very bad for business. I was on a call with my boss, and it randomly dialed and cut him off 7 times in 5 minutes. I will never buy another Blackberry. Ever. I see now why they will be out of business soon.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
studio4942
My Device: 9930

Yep same issue. It's just the phone itself and not an isolated issue. It's very annoying to be talking to someone and all of a sudden you hear beeps and dial tones and then your hear that your phone is calling someone else. Then you go and try to figure out how to disconnect this random call without disconnecting the original call you were on. You hit flash and say hello, then hit the back key and say hello, and then the mute key and say hello, and then finally the end key and bam, all calls are disconnected and your back at your desktop. What joke this is. Then you take it to Sprint to have it looked at along with a list of other issues and they give you four different causes and reasons for the issues after holding your phone hostage for three hours. Then they say we have to order you another used up phone that had the same issues but was refurbished and it works great. Yeah right. The replacement comes with its own set of issues including the ones you were trying to resolve. Looks like I’m going to have to get used to all touch phones because I can’t do this blackberry thing anymore. More of my colleagues have jumped ship years ago but I’ve been steadfast in blackberry. But they’re killing their clients with subpar devices in terms of performance and it has finally killed them back.

Please use plain text.