Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Contributor
sonixceb
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Bold 9000: What is running in the background?

I wanted to find out if anyone knew what is always running in the background on the Bold.  When I boot my Bold in the morning, I check the memory and it shows that there is 26MB available.  Now as the day progresses, I check it and it is way down to 6 to 8MB.  I only check my email and Twitter a few times during the day and once I am done, I make sure that Twitter is closed and not showing in my Launch bar as still running.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Next, has anyone ever installed a hybrid OS from www.bbhybrids.net?  These hybrids, from what I can figure, are supposed to take up less room on your flash memory (128 on the Bold for OS) and run a whole heck of a lot faster.  Is that true and will be OK to do?  Also, what about the app 'Shrink a OS' that bbhybrids.net offers?  Anyone done that?  Does it work?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Bold 9000: What is running in the background?

sonixceb wrote:

I wanted to find out if anyone knew what is always running in the background on the Bold.  When I boot my Bold in the morning, I check the memory and it shows that there is 26MB available.  Now as the day progresses, I check it and it is way down to 6 to 8MB.  I only check my email and Twitter a few times during the day and once I am done, I make sure that Twitter is closed and not showing in my Launch bar as still running.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

What Twitter app are you using. There are several.

Twitter for BlackBerry, the official app, does indeed run in the background UNLESS you select Options and Log Out. It doesn't appear in the background, but it does consume some resources and battery.

What twitter app are you using?

sonixceb wrote:

Next, has anyone ever installed a hybrid OS from www.bbhybrids.net?  These hybrids, from what I can figure, are supposed to take up less room on your flash memory (128 on the Bold for OS) and run a whole heck of a lot faster.  Is that true and will be OK to do?  Also, what about the app 'Shrink a OS' that bbhybrids.net offers?  Anyone done that?  Does it wo

Yes, people have installed the hybrid OSs offered by various "hybridizers" :smileyhappy:

The "shrink a OS" really doesn't do anymore than remove various stuff you tell it to remove, like wallpapers and images and sample media files and extraneous apps you don't want. Yes, they work.

But we don't hybridize here, so you need to ask quesitons about that at their website. Being an official RIM forum, it's not even anything we really talk about.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sonixceb

Ok, thanks.  I use Ubertwitter and it does the same thing as Twitter for Blackberry where you can tell it to either continue to run in the background or shutdown when you click the close button.  I have it set to shutdown when I am done.

I forgot to ask this question earlier.  I recently did that upgrade, per your instructions, to OS 5.0 and it worked great, but I noticed that none of the apps I bought thru App World were listed in 'My World' anymore.  Any reason for that that you can think of?  They are all listed in my Applications section of 'Options'.  I guess I have to download them all again??  Aren't they supposed to be stored somewhere in the backup you run thru Desktop Manager?  Please let me know.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Bought and paid for apps in App World should be listed in your My World. Free and trial apps won't be.

For the paid apps, in App World, first, you might need to make sure you're logged into AppWorld with your PayPal info for the My World paid apps to re-populate.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Oh, and your memory falling from 26mb to 6-8mb during the day could be dependent on other matters, other apps you might have and UberTwitter. Even exiting it will retain a great bit of data and cached memory in the app that doesn't release until a battery pull occurs. Same with some other apps like Pandora and BerryWeather, and many others. The BlackBerry browser too.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sonixceb

Ok, I guess my next question would be to see if there is another way to 'clean up' ALL cache for every app other than a battery pull or QuikPull.  There needs to be some sort of way that the blackberry would see that the app isn't in use anymore and then 'clean' out any cache or memory that it used and reclaim it.  Is there a way or will it be part of the new OS 6? 

It just seems to me, and I am just thinking out loud, that in order to resolve the issue with memory leakage and not enough memory for aps could easily be done by creating two different blackberries.  One for Govt use and one for the general public.  That way it could run on 8GB memory (or any size memory without the limitiations), like the iPhone, and there would be plenty of room for EVERYTHING.  I don't want the BB to anything like the iPhone, I just want it to run on something other than FLASH or RAM or whatever it is running on now, and utilize the full size of memory like other smart phones.  Is that asking too much?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eywong
My Device: Z10 STL 100-3

[ Edited ]

sonixceb wrote: "I noticed that none of the apps I bought thru App World were listed in 'My World' anymore."

Start the App World app. Then, press the Alt key and hold it, and then press the R, S, and T keys. App World will close. Re-start App World. You should see the repopulated list of apps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyberworldukltd
My Device: I am rocking the BlackBerry® PlayBook bridged to BlackBerry® Torch Smartphone with BlackBerry® Wireless Headset HS-700
My Carrier: I am on AT&T

I use Ubertwitter and it does the same thing as Twitter for Blackberry where you can tell it to either continue to run in the background or shutdown when you click the close button.  I have it set to shutdown when I am done.

visit our website: DietKart
Thanks
Please use plain text.