Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
cadman
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Bold 9700 Battery Life

Hi

I hope someone one can help me on this.

I have just bought the 9700 and its a great phone but the battery life is pretty poor and i am lucky to get 24hrs even on standby..

I am on bes and due to the break haven’t been using it but it still drains quickly which is a worry for when i do actually use it properly.

I also have set it to auto switch on and off at night and went to bed last night at 12 with half the bar left, when I woke this morning it was back on with orange bar.

Any comments would be appreciated as i am worried the battery may have a fault.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jfadams

Re: Blackberry Bold 9700 Battery Life

Is it possible that you left an application running in the background during the day time?  Perhaps one that uses a lot of power like the internet or GPS functions?

I am getting 2-3 days on my 9700 with moderate use (emails, phone calls, SMS and some application use), but I am very careful to use the "Close" function (Menu > Close) rather than the "Back" key.  The former shuts down the application, while the latter leaves it running in background mode which can drain the battery.  The 9700 has true multi-tasking unlike the iPhone which shuts down every program when switching from program to program.  Unfortunately I haven't found a way to force the closure of all applications short of a "Full Power Off" command.  I also turned off the Bluetooth function which drains the battery.

Hate to ask, but did you follow the instruction to FULLY charge the battery BEFORE using the 9700 for the FIRST time?  The literature stresses that step as being critical to battery quality.  Despite the "common wisdom" that Lithium-Ion batteries don't develop memory, I have found that the first charge is critical for some reason.  I used the original battery in my 8700c for years without problems until recently when it wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple of days.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I would agree, I am getting 2 days with BES and Gmail on it. I do some surfing gaming and a bit of BBM5 group action with out major battery drain.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cadman

Hi

Thanks for that did what you said and it is much better now, thats what i get for notreading the manual. I am an iPhone user so notusedto haveing to do this.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
ekinchi
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Azercell

Hi everybody.I have the same problem.

My battery life is very  short. I'm very upset.

What should I do? Buying new battery? Or maybe we doing something wrong? 

I suppose that some application stay on background and waste energy.

If somebody knows how to check and close background applications pleas help us. I beginning to hate my first ( and if the problem will continue, last)  Blackberry device!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
semo
My Carrier: Bell

Had this problem with one of the two Bold 9700's recently purchased.  I contacted my retailer and they sent me a new battery and I sent the old one back so they could warranty it.  No issues with the new battery at all.  

Please use plain text.
miro2002
My Carrier: Telus

"Hate to ask, but did you follow the instruction to FULLY charge the battery BEFORE using the 9700 for the FIRST time?  The literature stresses that step as being critical to battery quality. "

I am sorry, but where have you heard that?

I tried looking up official BB documents and could not find anytihng>

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

miro2002 wrote:

I tried looking up official BB documents and could not find anytihng>

It's still a good idea... whether in official documents or not.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

That's a myth. No need to charge a li-ion battery any different way the first time. You can take it out of the box and use it right away. It's not 1999 anymore :smileyhappy:

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
alistairas
My Device: BB Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

I too have a BB 9700 that's just developed a battery problem.

Up to a few days ago I typically got 1.5-2 days use from using Wifi, BES, Gmail, GMaps w/latitude, Gtalk, 60-90 mins calls a day. But this week the battery is lasting only about 3/4 of a day. I've even closed GMaps and Gtalk for today and turned off WiFi, but no difference and it's still draining strangely fast.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.